Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Outback wiring question

ps- the starting load is just kicking the VX3232M into a higher charger output (up to 85 A on the 32V) that is exceeding the standard Hatteras 50a fuse. (The LaMarche could never exceed 30, even with a massive starting draw or general house load).

Larry
    MV Manderley

Re: Outback wiring question

If I understand you correctly your back feeding through the charger blowing the output charging fuse. You can add a large diode to each of the charger feed wires going to each battery bank and stop this. What it sounds like is when you start either engine your trying to draw voltage from both banks and your using the battery charger the same as your combiner switch. It will not handle the current and your blowing the fuse. Try the diodes, I think it will fix your problem. Just make sure you get the diodes going the correct direction and that there big enough to handle the current. You can parallel them for a higher current load, but they must be alike. Try to find some out of an old battery starter and booster these are pretty big.

BILL

Smile Re: Outback wiring question

thanks guys. we did the revision I mentioned earlier that both Rob and MikeP commented on. the good news is that I ran the boat 300 miles over several days and did not blow anymore fuses or have any issues at all. unlike most 53's we are fortunate to have a second generator with a completely separate starting source, so even if I completely run the banks down I can still get power back. this boat has never been wired for an inverter because it has always been in hot humid places, so my risk is low. a disconnect switch was put in so I can remove the starboard bank from a future inverter use. I may wire for that this Fall. the great news is water consumption in the batteries. I have used 1 gallon of distilled water in 6 months, and no gas smell. I am very happy with the outback despite the lack of a second set of terminals. thanks for all of the help.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750