Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Shore Panel "Power" Light

A friend watching our 58YF called last night to say our boat had lost its connection to shorepower. He stated the shore power "light" was lit, but that we had no power coming into the boat. After trouble shooting the problem for a minute, and starting from beginning, we determined the breaker on the dock had been shut off (never turned on?). Question: I always thought the light on meant we had power coming in. Apparently it just means we're plugged in, whether there is power or not?
    1978 Yachtfisher 58' #447

Re: Shore Panel "Power" Light

Normally the shore power light is powered by the shore power only. And it is wired to the outboard side of the rotary switch, so feeding power from an inverter would suggest some wireing issues.

It sounds to me the issue needs more research.

JM
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Maybe only one leg of the 220v was coming in. That leg lit the indicator light, and then when the dock breaker was cycled, you got full power.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Maybe only one leg of the 220v was coming in. That leg lit the indicator light, and then when the dock breaker was cycled, you got full power.

Sky on my boat the light is lit before the breaker is on or the roatary switch is moved.

As I make fast to a dock I wind up with the gen light and the pilot light for the line that is connected, I have 3 commections pre side.

JM
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Glory View Post
    Sky on my boat the light is lit before the breaker is on or the roatary switch is moved.

As I make fast to a dock I wind up with the gen light and the pilot light for the line that is connected, I have 3 commections pre side.

JM
    Yes, I was speaking of the breaker on the dock.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Couple of things come to mind here. A long time ago we were troubleshooting a similar problem. The 220 power is often a double breaker with a pin connecting the 2 sides mechanically, designed to trip both breakers if a fault occurs on either one. We found that some Bubba electrician had connected both wires wire on one of the breakers to the hot side of the breaker, effectively eliminating the breaker from the circuit.

When all the power cables are unplugged, does the light come on? If it does the problem is on the boat, check inverter wiring if you have an inverter. If you have a meter, try taking a reading at the dock power outlet, turn off the breaker, obviously you should read zero volts, if you get voltage with the breaker off tell the marina to fix the shore power. If you use multiple cords for power, disconnect them one at a time when the light goes out, you know which outlet or circuit is giving you the problem.

To those familiar with troubleshooting electrical problems this probably is too wordy, I try to explain so most can understand the basics. No offenses intended.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Yes, I was speaking of the breaker on the dock.

I guess I have to think outside the boat!

JM
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY