Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

foam rubber for mattress

i am widening my upper bunk in the v berth of my 58yf, i am looking for input on what type, and density(firm, soft?) foam rubber to use. anybody out there know much about this stuff? thanks, bigbill

Re: foam rubber for mattress

Buy a memory foam household mattress, cut it to size with an electric carving knife from your kitchen. If you buy a queen or king you may be able to do more than one berth. A tape measure is your friend.......
    Put a layer of "Dri Deck" or similar under it to allow air flow (prevents condensation and the resultant mold)
    Very comfy.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

3. Re: foam rubber for mattress

Good points above.... or used closed cell foam if using tradtional foam. I found standard size mattress and foams were too LONG for a boat.....so make the measurements first.
    Last edited by REBrueckner; 02-09-2011 at 09:16 AM.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Hey BB...
    be constructive (unless you want to deal with the mattress judges LOL). We took a V berth mattress off of a Chris last year. It was too short but too wide because of the oblique andles on the ends. Cut it with an electric knife (!) and glue the cutoffs on the end with some 3M spray glue or contact cement. Trim shops do that all the time.
    Typically, boat beds are hard as a rock. It'll keep guests to a minimum haha! Get an upholsterer to make a cover with a zipper for it. I had to make one for the day bunk on my Roamer. That was 2 layers of different density foam. "Chipped" fom composite on the top 3 inches, glued to a softer 2 inches of ventilated foam on the bottom. That stuff has vertical holes throughout and aids in ventilation. When I leave the boat I also stick a box or whatever under the foam so theres no surprises when you need it! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

We used medium foam and 2" memory foam on top. Quilted material to cover. Very comfortable.

6. Re: foam rubber for mattress

Post #5 is a good idea...I added 2" memory foam from COSTCO to my futon mattress at home...very nice...

What is "ventilated" foam that Bill posted??? sounds interesting....I also used dri deck sections under my foam....seemed to work well....

Or if you use a "waterproof" mattress cover, that keeps body moisture out and prevents much condensation underneath....but of course it's a sloppy fit because boat mattresses are not standard home sizes....
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

The ventilated foam actually came from a 1956 Chris Craft Voyager. The vertical vent holes are probably 1/4" and about 100-150 per square foot. The foam has a kind of "skin" on it to help keep it dry as well. That old mattress weighs about 75lbs and is like wresting an anaconda ;-)) ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    i am widening my upper bunk in the v berth of my 58yf, i am looking for input on what type, and density(firm, soft?) foam rubber to use. anybody out there know much about this stuff? thanks, bigbill

For what it may be worth i did the memory foam on my 45 my dad pased and i used the foam from his king size.. you know one of those store bought deals I found it to be kinda hard to turn over an not very comfortable for a long time plus i had to make custon covers. I saw a add in boating for matteras made to fit it was a little ritzey. But i just called they already knew the
    dementions i needed. They offer many diffrent covers that were attractive.I do not have to make up beds the covering looked good .The quality was grate and you could select from hard to soft . NOI MADE FOM FOAM TIM
    Last edited by Tim Powell; 02-09-2011 at 08:08 PM.