Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

What is with the dislike of Detroit diesels??

Over the weekend I found myself at the hull truth. When searching around I came across many negative comments for DD. Poor fuel consumption, noisy, scarce parts for some engines. Is this because they are comparing new technology with older technology. It seems from some posters point of view if it isn't Cummings or Cat it is not worth anything.

Furthermore, I talked with a family friend who owns a DD dealership and his comments were surprising. He didn't say the two strokes were bad, but mentioned block corrosion in the coolant passages as a concern with the older engines. Also, he talked of the cost to repair his 6-71T even at his cost. He then went on to suggest that I had better have the money ready for new Yanmars.

After reading David Pascoe's site he is still very much in favor of DD, but he only talks about the newer 92 series engines.

Are there ways to determine if there is corrosion issues?
    Would an engine survey be able to give this information?
    If a leak in the block occurs I am assuming that it is time for a new block and thus maybe time to look at re power options?

Finally, is Hatteras and DD like an arranged marriage? It is the only option at the time so you better learn to love it.

Re: What is with the dislike of Detroit diesels??

THT is the first place I'd look for outboard motor advice and opinions , and the last place for diesel advice. Mostly hearsay there.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Finally, is Hatteras and DD like an arranged marriage? It is the only option at the time so you better learn to love it.

Like a shotgun wedding! An old DD only needs air, fuel and water and a way to spin it to start. Take a new unit with an electronic monitoring system and get the board wet when youre 100 miles offshore and see what the expurts on THT think... ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

There were a few old Hatts with Cummins but most were DD's. Now it's Cats. Hatteras has always stuck with their suppliers. Look at any of the components over the years and they rarely changed.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Like Bill said Detroit's were the only option, not just from Hatteras but from most manufacturers at the time. They also were good choices until Detroit started cranking up the HP and shortening service life. They are noisy, dirty, very inefficient and have a shorter service life compared to modern diesels. If you are buying an older boat that is part of the trade off. They still are cheaper to keep than pulling them out and re-powering with new power. It also depends on what Detroits your talking about. A set of well maintained Detroits will give great service providing they aren't high HP versions. A 525HP 12V71N will easily run 10K hours if cared for. A 1000HP 12V71TI will have a hard time making it to 2K hours. Parts are becoming more scarce and the cost keeps rising but they are still much cheaper to repair than most any other brand. Try pricing some parts for those Yanmars and see if you think they are cheaper to own. The issues with the Detroits become more real when you look at the big ones like the 1000+HP 12V92's or 1300+HP 16V92's. When your looking at paying 75K-130K to rebuild them every 2K-2.5K hours, providing there are no major core issues, and a fuel burn that is 20-25% higher than a similar HP modern diesel, that's when many buyers shy away. On the other hand, you don't want to be on the recieving end of a bill to major a pair of modern Cats, Mans, MTUs, Volvos etc.
    Jack Sardina

Any thoughts on the corrosion of the coolant passages??

Depending on the boat Cummins or CAT may have been available options.

This is like a Ford vs. Chevy thing, or that other thing they say about opinions. There are no "cheap" marine diesels, some are less cheap than others but they're all potentially costly to service and repair. The only thing I can say to those that dislike Detroits is there must be some reason that they've been making them since 1938.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

8. Re: What is with the dislike of Detroit diesels??

If you run properly-balanced coolant or a water/inhibitor mix it's a non-issue. If you don't.... well guess what - same issue with any engine.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Since you are familar with Pascoe, somewhere he writes that the DD 6-71 (@ <410 hp) is probably the best marine diesel ever made.

I guess I was most surprised with the response from the DD dealer of his own brand or maybe he was just sugesting to procceed with caution.