Over the weekend I found myself at the hull truth. When searching around I came across many negative comments for DD. Poor fuel consumption, noisy, scarce parts for some engines. Is this because they are comparing new technology with older technology. It seems from some posters point of view if it isn't Cummings or Cat it is not worth anything.

Furthermore, I talked with a family friend who owns a DD dealership and his comments were surprising. He didn't say the two strokes were bad, but mentioned block corrosion in the coolant passages as a concern with the older engines. Also, he talked of the cost to repair his 6-71T even at his cost. He then went on to suggest that I had better have the money ready for new Yanmars.

After reading David Pascoe's site he is still very much in favor of DD, but he only talks about the newer 92 series engines.

Are there ways to determine if there is corrosion issues?
Would an engine survey be able to give this information?
If a leak in the block occurs I am assuming that it is time for a new block and thus maybe time to look at re power options?

Finally, is Hatteras and DD like an arranged marriage? It is the only option at the time so you better learn to love it.