Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

How do These Nuts Work?

And how do you remove them.

No, this is not a political post. Three of the 4 fasteners holding the FB ladder have come loose, but they will not unscrew or screw back. I assume the upper fasterner which looks like a "screw" is in fact a nut, in the fashion of a screw with a hollow threaded end to receive the lower screw.

I intend to take a grinder to the head of the lower screw and see if I can get things loose so I can replace the fasteners.

If anyone is familiar with this fastening system or has a better idea, please let me know.

Thanks

Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

Re: How do These Nuts Work?

Those are barrel nuts and will require two screwdrivers to remove. When bubba installed them, he did a lousy job cutting the screws to length, and with a forced bad thread, have galled themselves together. If youre alone, a pair of needle nose vise grips may help, if not, a 1/4 drill bit from the top. Dont try to grind them... theyll get really hot and damage other stuff. ws

Install washers under the heads to help distribut load and bed with 5200
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

+ What Bill said!
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Thanks
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

They call those "sex nuts". No, really. One is a conventional screw and the other has a screw head and a threaded tube. One is male, the other is female....Get it?
    Maynard
    UNITY '86 36C