Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is this?

What is this?

Magnetek Jefferson Luminous Tube Transformer.

It's plugged in to a 120 volt outlet in my generator room and two output wires appear to go into the engine rooms.
    Attached Images

Re: What is this?

Hmmmm........the output is 12000v. What do the wires go to? Can you follow them?

Just a guess:
    Got any Neon lights?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Wow, Sky. Good guess. There are dimmer-controlled neon tubes behind the valences in the salon and aftdeck. Now we found the power supply. Thanks.

It's the security system. Sounds like it's wired wrong.

5. Re: What is this?

Sky GREAT guess!!!

12,000 volts is NOT to be taken lightly...especially in the damp marine environment....use GREAT caution and be sure to disconnect that transformer or shut off power to it if you ever have to work around it, the cables, or the neon lights.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Quote Originally Posted by REBrueckner View Post
    Sky GREAT guess!!!

12,000 volts is NOT to be taken lightly...especially in the damp marine environment....use GREAT caution and be sure to disconnect that transformer or shut off power to it if you ever have to work around it, the cables, or the neon lights.
    Good point. It looks like there are open terminals on it. You might want to shield those so you don't accidentally come in contact with those. A simple rubber flap would help.
    Sky Cheney

Wow, I hadn't though about that 12,000 volts. I've been crawling all over it while checking and watering the batteries. Thanks for the warning. Why in the world would someone install 12,000 volts for lighting? I assume that was not a factory installation.

Curiosity got to me and I have confirmed it is the power supply for the neon lights in the salon. Curiously, the neon lights in the aft deck stayed on when I unplugged it, so I guess there must be another one of these somewhere. Strange too, there are two output wires coming out of the unit. Here are pics of the entire unit, uncovered and covered.
    Attached Images

Oh, I feel better now. I didn't know it was enclosed in a metal box. You're good. No need to worry about those contacts.
    Sky Cheney

Def a xformer for neon lights but who would use them in a boat? The glass tubes break eazy. You have a bunch of Budwieser signs in the boat? How about a pic of the lights.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present