Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Salon and PH Door Locks

I've read through a few threads (recent and years gone by) regarding changing out the locks on our boat doors. A few months ago, the lock on the door going from the main salon to aft deck/salon became difficult to unlock. In essence, it would take several "spins" before it caught in the tumblers.

Fast forward to today, and it continues to spin, but never catches (and won't unlock).

I believe this is the replacement part I need from Sams (and at this time, it appears they have plenty in stock): http://www.samsmarine.com/PartSearch...ItemNmbr=84121

Before I replace all 5 (what a pain!), can anyone confirm these are the correct model?

Here's a terrible picture of my door latch system:

Re: Salon and PH Door Locks

Those are the ones on my boat (1985). Have you removed one? Just take out the long screw on the latch side and the lock mechanism will slide out.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Haven't removed one yet. you posted pictures of the entire unit disassembled on a thread a while back - which is exactly what I have - so I assumed this was correct.

I hate rekeying 5, just because 1 is bad, plus there's the fact that I'm spending $450 to replace an $84 unit. Guess I could keep the remainder in place and have a separate key for this one....but as soon as I do, another one will go bad. Murphy and I are good friends.....

Thanks Sky!

Why can't you replace the bad one and have a locksmith key that one to match the other ones on the boat, assuming I am interpreting this thread correctly? You're trying to replace one latch and have the same key work that one and all the existing others, right?

I had a locksmith fix something on the stepvan I bought and he could do that - rekey something to match a key I had in hand that worked other stuff.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

That would probably work - although I'm sure all the locks are worn to varying degrees - which may mean that they'd all need to be reworked (and why pay to have 30+ yo locks redone?).

I'll chat with a local locksmith once this one arrives and see what he/she says.
    Great recommendation. Thanks.

I'm not talking about having all the other locks re-done. Just give him the key that fits all the rest of the locksets, and tell him to make the new lock work with that old key. A good locksmith can do that. They can re-work the lock to fit the key.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

I think I'd order 2 locks, the locksmith probably won't charge any more for 2 than 1. Then you have a spare for when Murphy shows up. Plus I've found having a spare ready to go usually keeps Murphy away.

Mike,

I like your logic. I think I'll order 2 new sets from SAM's also.

Walt

Ok Walt, just be careful where you store that spare or that sneaky bastard will find it and hide it somewhere you won't be able to find it until the day after you had to buy another one.

Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI