Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Acrylic panes incorporated in canvas

Quote Originally Posted by eze2bme View Post
    I also replaced the old weather boards with new ones which are caulked to the underside of the teak handrails and the top of the gunnels. New weatherboard gates were also installed. .

What did you use to make the new weatherboards? I'm contemplating that job for this winter. Pictures?

Bob
    Chateau de Mer
    1981 48MY

I used extruded PVC board for the new weatherboards. It's available from most outdoor advertising material suppliers. Painter prepped it and sprayed with Imron. Send me a PM with your email and I'll send some pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Carver370 View Post
    I went the polycarbonate / sewn route. My canvas guy was able to cut out smiles in the windows so you can leave them attached at the bottom and unzip and flip up just the smile to the hardtop.

Not a Hatteras, but it has a similar aft deck configuration.

nice setup
    "I hate cruising on sailboats. They are slow, cramped, difficult to handle, and cave-like down below. If God had meant for man to cruise on sailboats he would not have created Detroit Diesel!"Spindrift

Quote Originally Posted by rhprop View Post
    Do you have a generic or brand name of the adhesive?
    IPS Corporation (Weld-on 3) clear, water thin, very fast curing solvent cement, for joining arylic. Taken right from the label. Ron

Anyone used MAKROLON polycarbonate? This stuff seems super, at least on the Beyer website and pricing is in line with Lexan.

Also anyone used the pin-less hinge from TAP Plastics. Looks like this will glue directly to acrylic/polycarbonate with testing to millions of cycles.

I used the pinless TAP Plastics hinges ... work well ...

Anyone used MAKROLON polycarbonate? This stuff seems super, at least on the Beyer website and pricing is in line with Lexan.

Also anyone used the pin-less hinge from TAP Plastics. Looks like this will glue directly to acrylic/polycarbonate with testing to millions of cycles.

The pictures I poster are Makrolon. Its sewn.

Polycarbonate is polycarbonate, we use it on the greenhouses we mfg. It usually comes with uv protection on one side only either extrued in or coated after extruded. I say it's the same as we went to one mfgs plant and saw them mfg anothers product right in front of us. If not uv protected, or installed backwards, it will yellow within 3 weeks. When we do an open roof greenhouse we specify UV2 which is protected on both sides as when the roof opens the non protected side will be exposed.If it gets scratched, be prepared to see it yellow there. We do acrylic also but harder to work with however in over 25yrs I've never seen any yellowing. It is much more brittle however and does not have the shatter resistance of polycarbonate.

Funny you should mention this. I just spoke this morning with a canvas maker in Stuart who will be showing me several boats with windows made from Makrolon next week. The guy says his oldest project is 3-4 years old and is holding up fine.
    Also, I will be visiting another canvas guy who claims to be having considerable success with Lexan. At this time everyone seems to concur that EX2CY is more expensive and prone to shatter over the years.
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

Daybreak needs a new enclosure, badly. I have marine vinyl not canvas and the isenglas wraps around corners so I don't think a hard sheet material would work well. I do have a front window and two sides that would accept stiff sheet material but the rest of it needs to roll up or be flexible. I'm not convinced that a hot glue gun will hold it all together properly and do have access to a industrial sewing machine. I'd like advice on rebuilding this enclosure based on your experiences with materials outside of sunbrella and fastening methods, ie sewn, glued.
    Attached Images