Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Acrylic panes incorporated in canvas

I am beginning to hear about a procedure that incorporates acrylic window panes in with canvas, particularly the forward windows of a fly bridge. One source suggests that hot glue from a glue gun is utilized and can make a long term bond.
    Has anyone had any experience with this???
    Thanks!
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

Re: Acrylic panes incorporated in canvas

Both acrylic and polycarbonate are used. The processes are different. With acrylic (EZ2CY) the pane is glued in with an acrylic cement which EZ2CY has patented. The polycarbonate panels are thinner and are sewn in like vinyls. I'm told it takes a special surface treatment to give the polycarbonate UV resistance.

Bob

EZ2CY is great stuff with outstanding visual clarity. It does not roll or fold, but can be lifted and attached to the ceiling. You see this on the flying bridge of many of the new Hatts. We have this arrangement on our aft deck and it has been terrific.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Look here for another HOFer's experience making their own enclosure.
    http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5019

OK ... I did make my own panels using acrylic and using a hot glue gun to "weld" the acrylic to the vinyl. As it turned out the hot glue started turning loose in places when the summer arrived with our 90-100 degree days. I ended up using a glue similar to the glue we all used to use as kids when putting together model cars and planes ... basically a glue for plastics ... it did work but was messy and very time consuming as you had to wait for one section to dry before starting on another. I finally decided to bite the bullet and have a hard enclosure (glass and wood) made with EZ2CY panels made for the transom.

Quote Originally Posted by eze2bme View Post
    OK ... I did make my own panels using acrylic and using a hot glue gun to "weld" the acrylic to the vinyl. As it turned out the hot glue started turning loose in places when the summer arrived with our 90-100 degree days. I ended up using a glue similar to the glue we all used to use as kids when putting together model cars and planes ... basically a glue for plastics ... it did work but was messy and very time consuming as you had to wait for one section to dry before starting on another. I finally decided to bite the bullet and have a hard enclosure (glass and wood) made with EZ2CY panels made for the transom.
    That's disappointing to hear. I just spent a few minutes admiring your work in the "Technical Images" section. How long have you had the glass/wood design in place? Still removable/hinged?

I made acryic sheet windows for my bridge 5 years ago and they are as clear as the day they were installed. I bought the glue (solvent) to bond the acryic to the sunbrella. It bonds almost instantly and is clear like water. The acrylic is 1/16" thick and comes in 4 X 8 sheets. Ron

I went the polycarbonate / sewn route. My canvas guy was able to cut out smiles in the windows so you can leave them attached at the bottom and unzip and flip up just the smile to the hardtop.

Not a Hatteras, but it has a similar aft deck configuration.

Last edited by Carver370; 01-21-2011 at 05:10 PM.

Jeff ... I did the glass/wood hard enclosure in 2008 ... made wood templates and had a cabinet shop make the frames out of mahogany and then had Solex installed. I made wing doors, side panels then a 20 inch wide panel at the corners of the transom and used EZ2CY across the transom. The mahogany was painted with Imron so everything matches. I also replaced the old weather boards with new ones which are caulked to the underside of the teak handrails and the top of the gunnels. New weatherboard gates were also installed. All in all I'm very happy with the outcome ... low maintenance and no more zipping and unzipping of the old soft enclosure to gain access to the aft deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Beckytek View Post
    I made acryic sheet windows for my bridge 5 years ago and they are as clear as the day they were installed. I bought the glue (solvent) to bond the acryic to the sunbrella. It bonds almost instantly and is clear like water. The acrylic is 1/16" thick and comes in 4 X 8 sheets. Ron
    Do you have a generic or brand name of the adhesive?