Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

take a look /feedback wanted

YW# 5386-2215199

some of you guys take a look and make some good and bad comments.. Take a look at the engines especially Tim

Re: take a look /feedback wanted

IMO way too much $ I'd be looking at a 52 in the 120-150 range. To me the yellow hull looks too much like a bananna. And you know about banannas on boats.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    IMO way too much $ I'd be looking at a 52 in the 120-150 range. To me the yellow hull looks too much like a bananna. And you know about banannas on boats.

o i agree about the money just the boat ingeneral.I am looking at the 52 real hard That is where my hart lies. Ihave not seen one that makes me feel good.

She looks nice but WAY too much for a 53C with 8V92's. Much better boat with the 12V71's. Plus those 8V92's are already half way to an overhaul. Interior looks a bit dated but that would be easy to update. For the same money you could buy a good early '90's 54C with 12V92's, a super clean 55C or for a little more you could get 2 52C's.
    Jack Sardina

IMO if your going to use the boat and fish the 52 is the boat I would buy. Its better on fuel than the 53. Way dryer, more stable, you dont take waves in the cockpit when your working a big fish, dependable mechanical detroits.
    I fished for years alongside a friend that had a 52 he'd get out there faster burn 20% less fuel ans sometimes would outfish me. You know its a proven fact that the sound of mechanical detroits raises fish.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    ...You know its a proven fact that the sound of mechanical detroits raises fish.
    I bought my 6V92's from a guy who was convinced that the harmonics of a 6V92 scare off billfish. He repowered with Cummins QSM11's for that reason alone.
    Jack Sardina

I am familiar with this boat. The owner is very particular, and the worked performed is top notch. She is a "looker". I've been offshore on her on an all day trip. She ran to the fishing grounds on plane, and performed flawlessly. Worth a personal inspection, in my opinion. Nicest one I have been aboard.

Tim --- PM sent.

She isn't a bad looking old boat, but in today's market the price is far too high, I am sorry to say. However, repowered with M11s she would be faster, use much less fuel, and easier to work on. (see recent postings about a very similar boat repowered by Slane in exactly this way) Even with very healthy Detroits in a boat free of any problems, I think the price would be way too high. I also think that getting lent this kind of money for this boat would be extremely difficult, unless you already had it in the bank and chose to finance the boat. That disqualifies most of us, doesn't it.