Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

crazy wind tonight

I'm chillin on the Bayou Watchin LSU play Texas A&M, when all of a sudden I hear a great roaring sound. The Boat starts rocking voilently. I still cant figure whats going on (new sounds on the 43'). I run from the salon up to the bridge and see a 25-35 kt wind hitting me on the nose. My canvas is rattling and popping so much I'm thinking it will blow out. I was just outside 10 minutes before and the water was like glass in the marina (no wind). The wind was out of the NW. It lasted about 10-15 minutes, then was gone. Now the marina is like glass again (no wind). There must be some weather disturbances (rain) nearby or something. I've seen gust fronts before, but this one takes the cake. All in a great night aboard the Blue Bayou. Can anyone tell I like this HATT.
    Pate B.
    1985 43' MY "Blue Bayou"
    Southport, NC

Re: crazy wind tonight

How could you not like it. It's 10deg and snow for the next 12 days. Only 83 days till launch. But who's counting

BILL

A tornado or something like it, perhaps??? Well, 10-15 minutes is a bit long for a tornado. I've had fronts blow through like that. Pascal took a video of one last summer or so and posted it somewhere. We were all just about to walk up to the Fresh Market when we looked to the sky and decided to wait a few minutes. BOY, was that a violent rushing!

On another note, I remember waking up on a February night, in Miami, to the sound of someone sitting the fairway at my bow revving an engine right "in my window" (I sleep in the bow cabin) and I thought, "what asshole (and Miami's got plenty!) is sitting there revving an engine at this hour?" I opened my porthole to discover a roaring wind and no visibility. As a person who lived through the Xenia, Ohio tornado back in the 70s while home alone, I lept out of bed, screaming, like a deflating balloon. I noticed that my kitty had gone to the companionway between the engine rooms. I climbed the ladder to the flybridge just in time to do a belly flop on the new seat cushions that were beginning to take flight. I crawled back to the door in my stomach and shoved all the loose goods down the hatch, and then proceeded to the bow to gather up the handrail covers. I have no idea what made me think of cushions and canvas first. Ed was there, somewhere, but I don't remember what he did or where he was. I was in total panic with nothing but the Xenia tornado in my mind.

Wind scares the absolute crap out of me; always has since I was 10 years old.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Bad news !! I just found a 6" crack in my front glass port side. I hope it doesnt keep running across the panel. I figured the glass would be brittle due to the cold. Dang I knew that wind was going to cause some kinda damage.
    Pate B.
    1985 43' MY "Blue Bayou"
    Southport, NC

It will grow, but the plastic in between the layers will hold it together.

BILL

Angela I think you would be more than a little nervous when riding with me when we go out storm watching. There has only been a couple time when I wished I was home. My entire family is certified in storm watching by the National Weather Service. They call me direct when there is something threatening. It's very interesting to say the least.

BILL

7. Re: crazy wind tonight

I had two of my cockpit windows crack a few years ago "for no reason". No rain, no ultra cold weather, no wind... Woke up one morning and there was a 6" crack, that became a full length crack by the end of the day..
    Two days later my front port windshield did the same...
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

Quote Originally Posted by magnawake View Post
    I'm chillin on the Bayou Watchin LSU play Texas A&M, when all of a sudden I hear a great roaring sound. The Boat starts rocking voilently.
    When I start bouncing around like that, its usually due that I tied my bow and/or stern lines too tight. Lossening them up settles things down pretty quick. One marina I visit has a lot of surge from commercial ferry's.
    Formally Top Hatt and Tails
    1980 53MY

Quote Originally Posted by TopHattandTails View Post
    When I start bouncing around like that, its usually due that I tied my bow and/or stern lines too tight. Lossening them up settles things down pretty quick. One marina I visit has a lot of surge from commercial ferry's.
    It must be my marina (Deep Point). The Bald Head Island Ferry comes in here a little too fast sometimes and rocks us around. Normally you can set your clock to it. At 10 till the hour, rocky, rocky, then right on the hour he blows the horn and leaves for Blad Head. I hope I get used to it. The others here say they have gotton used to it, but it was alot worse before they complained. Now if my windscreen will just hang in there.....
    Pate B.
    1985 43' MY "Blue Bayou"
    Southport, NC