Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. Crazy Battery Chargers

Sorry folks but I have reviewed every thread and talked to all in the "know" and am still at a loss for a good solution. Shellani has a Protech 4 12 volt charger (for 3 8 d's) and a Protech 4 32v for the standard 2X32 banks. The inverter is a standalone Heart, All of these devices are quirky! The Protechs don't put out properly for absorption and the Heart is...well old. What is the best solution out there now?

Thanx
    Craig
    Last edited by aquacraig@shaw.ca; 01-06-2011 at 11:17 PM. Reason: typo

Re: Crazy Battery Chargers

Quote Originally Posted by aquacraig@shaw.ca View Post
    Sorry folks but I have reviewed every thread and talked to all in the "know" and am still at a loss for a good solution. Shellani has a Protech 4 12 volt charger (for 3 8 d's) and a Protech 4 32v for the standard 2X32 banks. The inverter is a standalone Heart, All of these devices are quirky! The Protechs don't put out properly for absorption and the Heart is...well old. What is the best solution out there now?
    I can't speak as to which 32 volt charger/inverter to recommend (others will), but I need a new 12 volt charger and have narrowed it down to:

- Charles IMC (brand new)
    - ProMariner ProNautic P (brand new)
    - Victron Phoenix
    - Mastervolt Chargemaster (Hatteras uses these now)

FWIW, I am replacing a failed Xantrex XC, one month out of warranty.
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt

Best bet for the 32v is the Outback inverter/charger. Unfortunately, it sounds like you only need a 32v charger and not an inverter. I assume the 12v bank is the inverter bank.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

4. Re: Crazy Battery Chargers

Sounds like you're having similar frustrations. I just don't understand how they can charge such high prices for these things and they seem to only have a life expectancy of 2-3 years. Looking forwardto hearing about good product.

5. Re: Crazy Battery Chargers

Actually the 32volt banks run the inverter as the 12 is only for electronics, 2 heads and the Hurricaine heater. I want to get rid of the whole lot and go to a newer inverter/charger for the 32 banks a new 12 volt charger.

Well, then the Outback is the way to go. I've had mine for about 4 years with no problems at all. The inverter works great as does the charger. I programmed the charger with the setpoints that Rolls Battery suggested and it charges quickly with almost no water needed in the batteries.

If you order one, get the Mate control panel. It's worth the extra couple hundred for the ability to control all of the setpoints.

I have the Outback charging the house bank and an Analytic unit on the start bank. The Analytic has been troublesome, but I see that they have made some changes by adding extra cooling fans that may help.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I know I'm in a minority here, but I love the old ferro LeMarche chargers. 32v, and rebuildable. Mine is 31 years old and still kicking strong. I still add water about twice a summer and once a winter (in storage), and have put about $300 in parts and labor into it about 3 years ago. I use the 819 batt's and flop them out on a 5 year schedule. No, not the best, but it works and its rebuildable. When the whole thing goes, I'll go to Sky's system and Rolls, but until then...
    Formally Top Hatt and Tails
    1980 53MY

I'd add the NewMars to your 12 volt list. American made and great customer service. NewMar makes a very expensive and well made 32V inverter, I think the Outback may be a better value. Newmar shows a 32v charger in their catalog, But I think it is a made-to-order unit.

Sentry still makes 32v chargers as well. Steve Pooler (SPcoolin on here) is an expert and evangelist for those; I have had issues with mine which seem to have got better with a new control board. Nice thing about them is they are field serviceable and getting parts for my old unit was easy. Most (if not all) authorized Cruiseair techs are also trained in Sentry. I decided to go with a separate 24v bank for my inverter set up and highly recommend Magnum for 12 or 24v inverters.
    Last edited by GJH; 01-08-2011 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Last word should have read "inverters" not chargers. Magnum doesn't make straight chargers.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

I have a Le Marche 32 V charger (1974)..excellent, a 32 V analytic charger..and a 32v dc to 240 ac analytic inverter.
    Only problem was a warranty rebuild of the analytic charger,seems stable now after 9 mos.
    12 V I have the pro mariner been good for 5 yrs so far...

also, a Newmar 32 v x12 v 15 amp converter

Quote Originally Posted by aquacraig@shaw.ca View Post
    Sounds like you're having similar frustrations. I just don't understand how they can charge such high prices for these things and they seem to only have a life expectancy of 2-3 years. Looking forwardto hearing about good product.
    I hear you, $500 poorer now.

Charles has a great reputation on the HOF. The IMC model is something new, so there is no track record, although they are known to provide excellent customer service and long warranties.

The ProMariner ProNautic P is new, I think an import from Europe. Again, no track record.

As far as Victron and Mastervolt, I have heard no pros/cons which is why I haven't bought anything yet.
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt