Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Painting Bronze

Painting Bronze

The end plates that attach to my expansion tank are bronze. Rather than just scraping off the loose paint and painting over, it I was anal enough to strip all of the paint off of those parts so that I'd have a smooth finish when I'm done with this rather than evidence of having painted over old, chipped paint. What was on there was pretty thick, and I learned that the engines were originally that dark green like you see on some old DDs.

So....with raw bronze now ready to be painted, do I have to apply that etching stuff to it like I did the raw aluminum window frames, or will a lacquer thinner be enough to etch it to hold paint?

Also, it is better to paint reassemble the whole thing, and then paint, including the bolts, or paint the parts first and then assemble it?

Thanks guys!
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Re: Painting Bronze

Hi Ang, would it make any sense to polish the parts and coat them with clear?
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    Hi Ang, would it make any sense to polish the parts and coat them with clear?
    No, they didn't clean up THAT pretty. They're just smooth now without the visible layers of years worth of paint.. And there are different kinds of metal making up the whole cooling system, so I think it will look best if everything is white instead of a bunch of different colors of metal.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    No, they didn't clean up THAT pretty. They're just smooth now without the visible layers of years worth of paint.. And there are different kinds of metal making up the whole cooling system, so I think it will look best if everything is white instead of a bunch of different colors of metal.
    Its not forever since you should do it every 5 years or more so don't get too anal about it. zink chromate is a good non ferrous metal primer. I used the rustoleum hardhat series industrial spraypaint and their primer. read the app instructions the rustoleum had to be recoated within I think 30 min or you had to wait 24 hrs.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

If it's not to much trouble have the parts sandblasted then paint like RS said. Nothing seems to get paint to hold better than a sand blasted surface.ipe the parts down with thinner or acetone, to make sure no oil is on the surface, including oil from your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatnut View Post
    If it's not to much trouble have the parts sandblasted then paint like RS said. Nothing seems to get paint to hold better than a sand blasted surface.ipe the parts down with thinner or acetone, to make sure no oil is on the surface, including oil from your hands.
    Thinner and acetone can leave residue on the parts. Make sure the thinner is compatible with the paint or you can have a problem. Use Denatured alcohol as the final cleaner after sandblasting and wear gloves to keep the oils on you hands off the metal.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I agree with glassbeading them, and then paint with the most durable paint you can find. Which would be POR-15, if you can find it in white. They do make an engine paint which comes in white. Be careful and wear gloves- POR-15 doesn't come off ANYTHING you put it on, including skin. If you get it on your hands, it take three weeks to wear off. It is incredibly tough and will last for years on an engine. POR-15 also makes an etching primer called Metal-Ready which works very well to prep the surface for their paints.

For painting bare metal I always use self etching primer, and cover the primer in Imron. the results have always been good.

The prep is the hard part, sand/ bead blasting or caustic soda, Caustic soda not for aluminum, are good paths to a sucessfull job.

JM
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Oh fricking please. just clean it with brake cleaner, spray paint it and get on with your life. It aint government work!!!!!!!

PS Imron SUCKS on metal parts you end up with filiform corosion
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Frenchy would get them powder coated on your dime... lemme see now, 3 weeks later, on one engine, they could be flown into the Bahamas...Paint them with rustoleo Ange. The judges will never see them! ws

polished brass with clearcoat

powder coated

vinyl spray paint

perfections brushed on

This should have been done a week ago... ;-))
    Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 12-28-2010 at 06:46 AM.
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults