Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

How American are you?

Could you become a US CItizen? See how much you know

http://www.testimmigration.com/Sample_Test_Online.html
    Currently boat shopping

21' Skiff

Re: How American are you?

American enough to not have to take a test! Just like with any test, everybody knows to study beforehand to learn the material. Seriously, I can see how difficult some of the requirements can be to become a United States Citizen but if a foreigner wants to become a citizen of the United States they have to study and learn whatever is required of them and hopefully in ENGLISH. It may be as much about reading and understanding the native language as the actual history and information that is on the test.

Just look at Miami where a large portion of the polulation speaks Spanish and DOES NOT SPEAK ENGLISH! I'm sorry, but if you are going to be a U.S. Citizen and live and work here, learn to speak and use the language. I believe in immigration because this country is a melting pot for all foreigners which we all were originally, but I do not believe in illegal immigration. When they come here they should learn and use the English language (at least in public), pay their fair share of taxes and become a true AMERICAN, not some hyphenated-American.

Just my $.02.
    Byron
    "Sweet Melissa"
    Trident 78' Motoryacht
    www.SweetMelissa.info

Previously Owned Hatteras:
    1969 36C Hull #36C331
    1967 41TC Hull #41TC55
    1972 58YF Hull #58YF324

The point I was making is most Americans aren't American enough to pass the citizenship test. The fact that American voted more for American Idol than the presidential election. Out of that whole test I missed two questions and Ali 0. Shes from El Salvador, I'm not.

I couldn't give a shit less what language you decided to speak as long as you pay taxes, pledge allegiance to the United States of America and obey our laws. Last time I checked no where in the Constitution does it state we are a single language nation.
    Currently boat shopping

21' Skiff

10 for 10 but I almost screwed up the number of amendments to the constitution.

Not a very hard test and one any voter should be able to pass before casting a ballot.

maybe if the right to vote was dependent on a basic understanding of our founding documents we would have better leadership.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

How about we let all the airtraffic controllers speak what ever language they want. Sorry, but everybody speaking their own language and all the catering the gov does for the spanish speaking peeps costs us all a lot of time and money. I am one who is sick and tired of wasting my time listining to the spanish intro waiting to push 1 Add up over the course of a year and see how much time that takes away from YOUR life. My family came from Gremany Should I make everyone listen to a german intro how about french russian?
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Hmmmm. Seems like there's something royally f'd up in their software. I hit the "how did I do" button and it told me I had a zero score and proceeded to tell me that every answer I gave was correct.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Worked for me. I took the first test and got 9 of 10. (I knew their were 20 something Amendments, but guessed wrong)

I hear Obama wants to repeal the 23rd.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by Hatattack View Post
    Last time I checked no where in the Constitution does it state we are a single language nation.
    Absolutely correct, single language is not law. It is a COURTESY out of respect for the country that you are in. Every country in the world has a native language. If I were to move to Italy and become an Italian citizen, I would learn the language and use it when in public, conducting business, whatever. At home, of course I would speak my native english. I would understand that it is part of living in a different country.

You know what they say, "When in Rome...."
    Byron
    "Sweet Melissa"
    Trident 78' Motoryacht
    www.SweetMelissa.info

Previously Owned Hatteras:
    1969 36C Hull #36C331
    1967 41TC Hull #41TC55
    1972 58YF Hull #58YF324

While it may not be a Federal law (by the way it should be), it is in fact considered our official language. How dare anyone come to my home and disrespect it. I do believe that our founders screwed up by not including English as our official language, but considering the pressing matters at hand, like writing up a workable constitution, it is understandable. It was one of those things that was taken for granted. Fell through the cracks. What really bugs me is that none of our elected leaders has the guts to propose an amendment that would take care of this issue once and for all. It really bothers me when I get mail in spanish or spanish speaking telemarketers. They assume that because my name ends in a vowel I must be a Spanish speaking person. Well I do understand Spanish and several other languages but English is our National language, legally it may not be but it most certainly is from a practical and historic use. Why do most immigrants from everywhere else from China to Russia to Indonesia and so on make learning English a prime accomplishment but Spanish speakers expect us to cater to them? If we're so terrible, get the hell out of our country and don't let the door hit you in the ass. There are plenty of other folks all over the world that would be happy to take your place.

Walt