Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sea rails

Sea rails

I,m always amused at the boat shows at how unprepared most of the boats are for going to sea. None of the boats I was on had sea rails on the counters and with this move to granite and synthetic stone there is no way to attach them.
    mabe Im the only one that actualy uses my boat but even running down the Icw things will slide off the counters. I just dont get it does everybody just throw everything on the deck?
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Re: Sea rails

most Hatteras dont' have them either at least in teh galley where they're most needed.

with corian and the like, you can put them on, granite i dont' know although i've seen teak added on the edge of black granite and it looks pretty good.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Or maybe you should get everything "ship-shape" before you leave the dock.

Seriously though, the majority of the boats you see today are designed to sell, not to go to sea. And most of them never do.... for which I'm sure their builders and the Coast Guard are thankful.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

By sea rails do you mean fiddles?

Being that the galley is where I spend a great deal of time since I do all the cooking onboard, I find sea rails/fiddle rails on my galley counter tops to be extremely annoying and a hindrance in times of food prep and clean up. I did have them on my previous boat, so I am speaking from my own personal experience, having had it both ways now. I like them on my furniture pieces and on my wet bar. I wouldn’t be bothered with them on my head counter tops, but there is nothing left on there to slide off, so I don’t miss them there, one way or another.

All that said, when we are going to venture into waters that are less than smooth, I prepare the galley, among other places, for travel and do not leave anything sitting on the counter tops that might go sliding off. I don’t try to work a knife on a butcher block while underway in less than smooth waters. Everything has a place to be stowed.

I think the issue of having fiddle rails or not is a personal choice rather than a reckless lack of preparation by choosing not to have them, so long as one takes the time to prepare the cabin for travel - I think that’s the key.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

I put them on my counters when I re did the 36 Series 1

The rolled edge of a granite counter top is made by gluing a strip of granite under the top and then finishing. I assume this can be done in reverse if it can be appropriately polished.

But I'm with Ang. I had them on the trawler and didn't like them. On the Hatt, we simply put away the things that will move when traveling. Low center of gravity stuff tends to stay where put. Bottles will move, but would likely tip over a rail anyway.

Bob

"Being that the galley is where I spend a great deal of time since I do all the cooking onboard, I find sea rails/fiddle rails on my galley counter tops to be extremely annoying and a hindrance in times of food prep and clean up"

You never had the knife fall on the deck while your trying to put mayo on your sandwich? I got tired of wiping it off on my pants while I was holding the mayo jar.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

We have never seen it as an issue either, we don't keep much stuff out on the counter anyway so putting it away before heading out takes a minute or two.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

You guys must all strap in and not move while your out. We start with the counters empty and end up with cameras, sunglasses, books, cell phones, tubes of blockout you name it on the counters. Every time I look for something in the "junk" drawer I have to half empty it on the counter to find what I'm looking for. It dosent take much of a rail to stop stuff from sliding off. We fish in some pretty rough weather during the winter sailfish season and I've never had anything hit the deck since I put the rails on.

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976