Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Them smokin' Turbos...

Underway...during a routine check...I found smoke in the air of the port engine room (fairly thick LOL). It's coming from the aft side of EACH turbo (8v92).

What would you guys say causes both turbos to smoke? What's the first thing to check?

The Airsep filters haven't been cleaned since I've owned the boat. They are black as coal. Could this restrict airflow and cause them to run hot??

My first guess was clogged heat exchanger...(or what ever that thing is called that cools the heat comin' out of the turbos).

Is there a raw water impellor that cools these things?

All engine temps are normal. Turbo's are cool to the touch.

Any ideas on where to start??

Anyway...

Thanks...

David Cate
    "Bucket List"

(I'm wonderin' if it's not exhaust...instead of heat...whether right or wrong.... but that's the opinion of a true NOVICE>>>LOL fwiw)
    Last edited by dcate; 12-06-2010 at 08:06 PM.

Re: Them smokin' Turbos...

Have someone start the engines cold while you stand in the ER. It will be obvious if you have an exhaust leak.

Quote Originally Posted by captddis View Post
    Have someone start the engines cold while you stand in the ER. It will be obvious if you have an exhaust leak.
    Good thought. I was by myself tonight but I'll get someone to help me. What I do know is that there is smoke coming from both turbos where the insulation meets them on their aft side. More smoke at RPM than at idle.

Come to think of it....I don't think I even gassed it enough for the Turbos to do anything...and there was no burning smell.
    Last edited by dcate; 12-06-2010 at 08:31 PM.

4. Re: Them smokin' Turbos...

8V92s (as delivered) have a notoriously-undersupported and over-levered exhaust system that has a habit of breaking loose the seals on the exhaust section of the turbo. The turbo design for the turbos used on those engines doesn't help in this.

This is a serious problem not only due to the potential for fire (if the blankets are in good condition this risk is not particularly high) but more importantly because the soot will be ingested into the intake and foul the engine, causing very rapid wear (along with coating the air filters, making a mess, etc.) You already have the coated air filters - that's from the exhaust leak. You probably (very likely) also have nastily-fouled airboxes.

You need to figure out where this is coming from (as noted a cold start with you standing there should be obvious) and FIX IT. Do not run the boat until you do as exhaust ingestion damage is cumulative. While you're fixing it check the bracing on your exhaust system and augment as necessary.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

I had this happen after I first bought the Maggie Mae. Turns out it was a crack in the Turbo near the clamp. Comes from the boat not being used adn the Turbo rusts insude out. It was sending EXTREMELY hot (1800) air directly towards the engine room wall and damn near caught the boat on fire!!! I ended up replacing all four Turbos to eliminate any further issues.

DO NOT run your boat like this!!

The 6V92's on my boat did not have the supports that Karl mentioned. My mech bought them from Marine Exhaust in Riveria Beach if my memory serves.

Bob

Sounds like some insulation needs to come off for inspections. Oh well. I can replace that too while I'm it! lol

Love boating!

Quote Originally Posted by bobk View Post
    The 6V92's on my boat did not have the supports that Karl mentioned. My mech bought them from Marine Exhaust in Riveria Beach if my memory serves.

Bob
    One of my starboard side supports is broken off....along with the bracket that holds it on. Sounds like it's time to get that welded back on as well. Funny that that is the side that hasn't come loose (yet).

Who replaced the turbos? I'll bet they didn't seal those clamps well. You really need to use new clamps and make sure the flange on the collector mates up well to the turbo.

I'll bet they just threw them on and reused the old clamps without even looking to make sure the supports were holding the collector in the proper position.

Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

You also should alternately tap them with a hammer, then tighten, then repeat to really seat them properly.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau