Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Electric problem with big solenoid in ER

Hi: I tried today to start my motors and the electricity jumps and down and the amps drops a lot. My batteries are brand new with chargers, water in correct level etc and I used last weekend with any signs of problems to come. I start to follow the cables and the three battery bank finish in that solenoid it's almost the same of the solenoids in the starter but much bigger. In my instrumentation panel in the helm I have a switch selector for that solenoid and if I moved from port to starboard he sounds but i touched and was extremely hot!. It's in rust conditions is that could be the problem? and where can I but it? Thanks Mario

2. Re: Electric problem with big solenoid in ER

That sounds like the red/maroon heavy duty solenoid for combining port and stbd batteries to aid starting.

You can get a replacement from Sam's....an identical unit to the original....or try the biggest COLE HERSEY (or other brand) solenoid you can buy...but you'll have to change a heavy duty cable or two if you change solenoid brands....
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Re: Electric problem with big solenoid in ER

Mario if the switch is hot it probably is stuck in the on position and should be disconnected ASAP. The solenoid take power from the switch and closes the connection between the batteries but should release when the switch is released.

before you start ordering parts cut the power to the switch and see if the solenoid opens. Then apply power and see if it closes. You will probably hear it open and close.

I have has a few of the toggle switches go bad before and they will get hot and spark. Get the power cut to it ASAP.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

or jsut replace it with a simple ON/OFF heavy duty battery switch.

using the parallel solenoid is an emergency procedure so going down to the ER is no big deal.

this way, if the problem in one of the bank is caused by a bad battery, you can just disconnect that bank and run with the parallel switch on to get home without risking more problems.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    or jsut replace it with a simple ON/OFF heavy duty battery switch.

using the parallel solenoid is an emergency procedure so going down to the ER is no big deal.

this way, if the problem in one of the bank is caused by a bad battery, you can just disconnect that bank and run with the parallel switch on to get home without risking more problems.

Or you could trace the problem and fix it right.

Having to go to the engine room to turn a battery switch on in the heat of an emergency or while docking is not a option. Running with the system paralleled is not the best option either as it can cause more problems

FWIW I bet the parallel solenoid and the toggle switch ( and maybe the push button is bad too ) together are probably not much more in cost than that big battery switch plus the boat is back to the way it is supposed to function.

Parallel switches are momentary for many reasons. Parallel switches are at the helm for many reasons. 2 separate systems for 2 running engines are there for many reasons. Don't take the cheapskate way out and endanger your family or your vessel.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

typical usage of the parallel swtich/solenoid is to start one side if that bank is low. personally, if i try to crank and dont' have enough juice, I want to go down below to take a look at the ER before assuming the bank is low and paralelling to start... just in case there is more to it than a low bank. so if i have to go to the ER, i can as well switch a manual parallel switch there, start and then turn it off once i've done a post start up check.

now, if you loose an engine while maneuvering, a solenoid is a big plus, although unless you are running with a known bad bank chances are your batteries will be fully charged since the engines were jsut running.

yes, having two isolated system is ideal although if i have a bad cell in a battery or if i find one bank being too hot, I would find it safer to disconnect that bank altogether, throw a parallel switch on and come home running both engine off the same bank than having the alternator dumping a lot of amps in a bank that's defective and about to go.

let's be honest here, Hatteras did not always get systems absolutely right. for instance, many of our boats only have two banks instead of having one bank per engine plus a house bank. Worst, on some boats you can't even select which bank will be used for house duties. so while having a solenoid is convenient, i'm not sure i agree that it is the best setup jsut because that's the "way the boat is supposed to function"
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Pascal--

You have described the way the early Hatteras Yachts were designed--three battery banks, a selector switch for choosing the house bank as well as varying the banks to get equal use. Must have been those Rockwell bean counters who chaged the design!
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

You forgot that not everyone has easy access to an engine room and the battery switches.

The idea of running in parallel on the switch if a bank is dead brings up a question. What of the dead bank fries the other? Momentary parallel switches are much better. Hatteras did not get much wrong. Technology may have changed things but for the most part they were right on.

I have a 2 bank system on my boat and it gas a selector for the house bank. My boat if a 1966 so I would think the later boats had similar abilities in the 40 foot or so SF.

MY's are a different breed and had systems designed for how the people used them at the time they were made. Vintage cars were designed the same. To say something is wrong based on the change in usage is not fair.

The 1510 series of vessels was not designed as a live aboard but as a coastal cruiser. Thinking people would normally use them a few day at a time and week to month long trips. Generators were the norm and inverters were rare. Today many of these vessels are refitted with more modern amenities and still are not the same as a vessel designed with the amenities in mind from the beginning.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

That parallel switch is there for a reason, and if its HOT, ol' Mario has a problem. Lets see, a battery fire along with two glowing red alternators and a panic situation..., If you are gonna make suggestions, make worthwhile ones will you please?

Watch this video of a tug that lost its ONLY engine for some giggles haha! ws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrKHL...eature=related

FWIW... mine is set up to have a bank for each engine, and the port bank also runs the house. THAT is direct from the factory schematics btw. So now, I have a dead engine, one is running, I merely parallel the DOA side and off we go into the sunset for some more shark frolicking and a sing along like "what do ya do with a drunken sailor..."
    Last edited by administrator; 12-06-2010 at 01:36 PM.
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Quote Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
    Sure thing captain ron... just like making that big run across the bay to anchor out and watch the sharks frolic, hit the switch and hear NADA. Thats ok tho, the deck boy can zip downstairs and switch over, call the bridge for a re-start, and stop by the galley for some cheap wine on the way back upstairs! Thats the best case scenario...
    Now after everything is warmed up and you make that big return home trip back across the bay, and come into the basin and lose THAT ONE engine, we'll just have little Miguel zip back downstairs and throw those switches again, ring the bridge and tell you to restart. If thats the way you run that
    70, I feel sorry for the owner!
    That parallel switch is there for a reason, and if its HOT, ol' Mario has a problem. Lets see, a battery fire along with two glowing red alternators (we all know that Hatteras wasnt up to speed electrically, hell, the engineer here cant even spell!) and a panic situation, just have little Miguel run downstairs AGAIN to do some more switching. Just hope he can find his way out with all that smoke going on down there. Maybe he'll just say fork it, grab the box of wine, a PFD and bail out, while you sit there with that limp key in your hand.
    If you are gonna make suggestions, make worthwhile ones will you please?
    Watch this video of a tug that lost its ONLY engine for some giggles haha! ws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrKHL...eature=related

Come on Willy lets not get overly personal. "Box of wine". Now that's just mean
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.