Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Talking about Generators...(sandbar)

Every so often, our 16KW NL genny will almost come to a stop when one of the ac units cycle. I'm not sure which one causes it but it doesn't seem to cause it every time it cycles - just occasionally. Any idea what might cause a heavy elec load to be applied on starting sometimes but not always?
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Re: Talking about Generators...(sandbar)

What else is in? If a compressor kicks in with few other loads it will be fine but if you have something like 10kw of loads running then the genny may take a short time to recover

Check the meters and then turn the load on to see exactly if it depends on the existing load

Does voltage really dips to the point that the compressors will stop on low voltage?

Also check the filters if you haven't , both prim and sec
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I have a Fluke Model 27 digital multimeter which has a min/max button. It reads the high and low voltage from the time the probes are plugged in until reset. Very useful for all kinds of electrical problems on board. It is also waterproof and explosion proof. The only thing it doesn't have is a frequency meter, but other Flukes do. www.myflukestore.com
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Mike,
    You might ask that question on Steve's website.

http://marine-ac.com/

He's the resident expert on A/C units. I'd trust his advice over most anybody else on here as he works on this stuff for a living.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Thanks Sky!
    Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Tried to join the ac site. After registering I got an email back with a link to activate but when I selected the link it took me to the a/c site but saying "Page not Found."

I tired it several times but the same thing occurred. Maybe they're having trouble with the server or something.

I searched through the ac forum (can read but can't post) but couldn't find anything with the same symptoms.

I've narrowed it down - it's only on the salon ac unit. The blower and sea pump comes on. After about 10 seconds there is a 70A draw for a fraction of a sec (assume it's when the compressor starts) but then current immediately drops to normal and the system works fine. When the spike occurs, any other elec item on ships service 2 drops out - TV, microwave, etc. Also, the inverter circuit trips over to batteries for about 3 seconds. So I'm trying to figure out what causes the huge spike in power draw for that compressor. Capacitors?

Note - originally I noticed it on the genny, hearing the genny slow but now I have found that the same thing happens with shore - there's just no genny engine to slow down!
    Last edited by MikeP; 12-02-2010 at 05:08 PM.
    Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

easier to replace the capacitors than the compressor!

that circuit breaker doesn't pop at 70amp? how old is the compressor?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Compressor is the original 1980. The spike is too quick, I think, for the breaker to react and it may not really be 70A. THe needle at the ships panel is up and down almost instantly and since it's a needle, the inertia carries it probably well beyond the actual amperage reading.

I probably won't fool with it now - I'm only here for a couple of days to winterize but planning for spring...
    Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

i'd look at the capacitors first, they're pretty cheap... maybe you can swap them with another set from another unit.

it's normal for amps to spike on start up, but with a compressor that size (i'm guessing 16k?) a a 16kw genset should recover before stuffs comes off line.

that said, on the boat i run, when the saloon 48k btu compressor kicks in, neither NL20 can keep voltage high enough when the watermaker is running and usually the WM shuts down on low voltage.]

and that's a new 48k compressor...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    Tried to join the ac site. After registering I got an email back with a link to activate but when I selected the link it took me to the a/c site but saying "Page not Found."

I tired it several times but the same thing occurred. Maybe they're having trouble with the server or something.

I searched through the ac forum (can read but can't post) but couldn't find anything with the same symptoms.

I've narrowed it down - it's only on the salon ac unit. The blower and sea pump comes on. After about 10 seconds there is a 70A draw for a fraction of a sec (assume it's when the compressor starts) but then current immediately drops to normal and the system works fine. When the spike occurs, any other elec item on ships service 2 drops out - TV, microwave, etc. Also, the inverter circuit trips over to batteries for about 3 seconds. So I'm trying to figure out what causes the huge spike in power draw for that compressor. Capacitors?

Note - originally I noticed it on the genny, hearing the genny slow but now I have found that the same thing happens with shore - there's just no genny engine to slow down!
    Mike...The way that works is I need to approve you....I've had some bad joiners lately...Anyway...You are approved now...Go ahead & sign in if you like...

Steve~