Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Good diesel mechanics

I need the names of good mechanics for a rebuild. I am gathering quotes up. I have couple guys but want to expand my options.

Yes it will be for the imfamous Freebird.

Thanks,
    Leo
    Currently boat shopping

21' Skiff

Re: Good diesel mechanics

I'MFAMOUS FREEBIRD... had to do that Leo! Go with surplus gas turbines instead and watch these guys sit up and pay attention! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Where is the boat?

Randy can at least guide you on which ones to avoid.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatattack View Post
    I need the names of good mechanics for a rebuild. I am gathering quotes up. I have couple guys but want to expand my options.

Yes it will be for the imfamous Freebird.

Thanks,
    Leo
    I thru a buddy who works with the port of Mobile railroad contacted two brothers who do diesal work .Thats the Quote Randy has at 11K and expenses for the mechs.I drove them up and back from Mobile one day and they know their stuff.Why look anywhere else?Ask Randy for a copy of their quote and go from there.Call them.I dont think you can beat an 11k price for a 12V71 overhaul.PM me if you want to know more.Or better yet call me at 251-610-2611. Robby

Im not going to ask Randy to go out of his way anymore than he is. I am going to atleast handle this part.

Gas turbines suck when they operate in salt water. So no go there. You can buy them surplus for nothing too. I see they let you back on YachtsmanBill. haha

The boat is in Chattanooga. And Robby I am thinking with the downturn I can get a better price on the rebuild.
    Last edited by Hatattack; 11-22-2010 at 06:52 PM.
    Currently boat shopping

21' Skiff

;-)) ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

Quote Originally Posted by Hatattack View Post
    Im not going to ask Randy to go out of his way anymore than he is. I am going to atleast handle this part.

Gas turbines suck when they operate in salt water. So no go there. You can buy them surplus for nothing too. I see they let you back on YachtsmanBill. haha

The boat is in Chattanooga. And Robby I am thinking with the downturn I can get a better price on the rebuild.

That's not an imposition for Randy. Knowing him I think he would be hurt if you do not ask him.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Pacemaker put ford gas turbines in a 48 sf had big holes in the sides made a lot of noise and went nowhere and ate a lot of fuel. One of the Capts I mated for was running it. I think Pace took them out and put 8n's in
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

I also saw UNCONFIRMED RUMORS that... oops, thats already taken! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY