Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Not another boatinay...

We left Lightkeepers Marina last Sunday destined for our first winter-over in the Florida Keys. Just below the Little River swing bridge we passed a sailboat named "Senta". The first bad omen came about two miles down the waterway when we realized that we could not get up to speed as we had a serious vibration at above 1300 RPMs. So we decided to turn back facing the inevitable haul the out. Heading back north I decided to "bump" her up to see what happens. Voila! The props cleared and she planed out nicely. So we brought her about one last time and, once again, were south bound overtaking "Senta" for the second time. That evening we tied up at Hazzard Marine in Georgetown, SC. On the following day a 45' Hat arrived from Wilmington, NC manned by two older gents moving her south for the winter.

In the meantime I discovered that I had a failed Racor drain valve. This resulted in an extended stay as I overnighted parts to be installed the next day. They arrived and I immediately went about installing them. Within moments I heard someone out on the dock calling for "HELP". I dropped everything and bolted topside and onto the dock. Here was the old Hat trying to clear the dock while the first mate was in the water! Fortunately he was wearing a life jacket. I rushed over and, with both hands, grabbed him by the wrist and pulled as hard as I could. Being that the dock height was some two feet above water in no way could I lift this guy out of the water (I'm a 140 lb. 5'6", 63 year old runt). In time another guy showed up and, together, we got him on the dock. To make matters worst, he scrapped the hell out of his right knee and it wa bleeding profusely. We got the boat back to the dock and in a few moments they left safely on their journey.

Fellas, let me tell you something. It's hard as hell to lift a big guy out of the water (my first experience was on Lake Wylie in February of 1970). Especially if the victim is in bad health and exhausted.

That afternoon - yesterday - a front came through introducing 25-30 MPH winds. A 35 some, odd foot sailboat was struggling with an anchor that would not hold. He has already called the only three marinas in town on VHF to learn that all were booked. His position was such that he was exposed to the maximum wind out of the south west. I could not help doing this but, from my vintage point I could easily see that up the channel and behind the small island that lie on the windward side calmer waters await. So I got ont e VHF, hailed the vessel, and advised of my observations. Moments later it was very gratifying to see "Senta" motor north to more calm waters!

We are in Charleston tonight...but it doesn't end here. Now the bowl collar on the starboard Racor has developed a very slight leak and the port engine oil pressure gauge is showing only 60 psi at high RPMs....More work to be done. It never goes away!
    Last edited by (Nobody You Know); 11-17-2010 at 09:46 PM. Reason: title
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

Re: Not another boatinay...

I thought I typed in "BOATING DAY"

OK, I'm tired and I've had a loooong week already!

CB
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

3. Re: Not another boatinay...

Sounds like we might have to re-name you Randy
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

Re: Not another boatinay...

Hey, I know how to spell.

Glad to hear you have your boat headed in the right direction there Bill. If you plan to be in the keys around Christmas, I'll look you up if things work out.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93