Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1990 72' Viking motor yacht

Anyone know anything about the early 90's Viking motor yachts? I understand
    the production was limited after the luxury tax was imposed.They are beautiful inside and laidout well, but I don't know how they ride or how there sea handling ability is.The one I saw had 1292 detroits.
    thanks, Greg

Re: 1990 72' Viking motor yacht

Only thing I've ever heard about that boat is she runs pretty fast for her size and power. That vintage Viking had some serious stringer issues so make sure they aren't wet and rotted. Look at the stringers that the engine I beams sit on and make sure there isn't any sag were they are mounted. A lot but not all of the Viking SF of this era are wet and have a stiff ride, the trade off for speed I guess. They do make a pretty boat but don't expect much from the company. I was looking at an early '90's boat and they had very little info. No schematics, tech manuals etc. No one even knew the capacity of the individual fuel, water and holding tanks. I was told they didn't start making detailed owner's manuals until the early 2000's. My '74 46C Hatteras has all the schematics and tech manuals. If you don't have what you need, Hatteras still has them and all the detailed build info. I don't know of any other production builder that has that type of support. The Viking staff are nice people to deal with and if you're in the mid Atlantic or North East, they now own a full service marina next door to their facility. Great place to have your work done, even if you don't own a viking.
    Jack Sardina

Do yourself a favor and buy a Hatteras. That is what Vince Lazzara did after he sold the company to Viking. The MY's were Gulfstar designs.

Quote Originally Posted by captddis View Post
    Do yourself a favor and buy a Hatteras. That is what Vince Lazzara did after he sold the company to Viking. The MY's were Gulfstar designs.
    Really? Vince was in a wheel chair when my dad bought his 49 Gulfstar from him in 1983. What Hatteras did he buy?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I have seen some great ones and the gulfstars were well made too. There are some things on both that are nicer than on the Hatts. Depending on what you are looking for I know a 49 gulfstar has more comfortable and usable living space than a 53 Hatt and is very well built.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Really? Vince was in a wheel chair when my dad bought his 49 Gulfstar from him in 1983. What Hatteras did he buy?

54 MY was named Victory.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    I have seen some great ones and the gulfstars were well made too. There are some things on both that are nicer than on the Hatts. Depending on what you are looking for I know a 49 gulfstar has more comfortable and usable living space than a 53 Hatt and is very well built.

What was nicer than the Hatt? I have had a number of them apart. I delivered a New 50MY that was sinking on me all the way to Miami. Worked on many others. I would not buy one. Look in places where you don't normally see. Have seen Gulfstars with cored bottoms so soggy they were difficult to block. They sagged like jello.

I have spent time on a 53 Mk II that was a one owner boat from 1976. It was still in beautiful shape but dated. All the systems were as well planned and laid out as a hatt of that vintage but the walk in engine room made it so easy to maintain. Also a 49 wide body (198?) that a friend owns that is also in great shape and has one of the roomiest layouts of any boat in it's size.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    I have spent time on a 53 Mk II that was a one owner boat from 1976. It was still in beautiful shape but dated. All the systems were as well planned and laid out as a hatt of that vintage but the walk in engine room made it so easy to maintain. Also a 49 wide body (198?) that a friend owns that is also in great shape and has one of the roomiest layouts of any boat in it's size.

That is the arguement the taiwan boaters use. I take care of a 671 powered 1981 48 and a have maintained two 49's as well as a couple 44's. The systems and construction does not compare. Pretty interior yes.

The question was about the early 90's MY's that were rebadged as Vikings. I have run a number of them as well as worked on a number of them. Great layouts and use of space but not in a league with Hatteras. YMMV!
    Last edited by captddis; 11-15-2010 at 07:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by captddis View Post
    That is the arguement the taiwan boaters use. I take care of a 671 powered 1981 48 and a have maintained two 49's as well as a couple 44's. The systems and construction does not compare. Pretty interior yes.

The question was about the early 90's MY's that were rebadged as Vikings. I have run a number of them as well as worked on a number of them. Great layouts and use of space but not in a league with Hatteras. YMMV!
    I don't remember Gulfstar making a new style boat over 49 foot. The later ones were probably new designs or Vikings from the start. The do seem to hold value well and are not for sale everywhere you look making them either very rare or quite desirable.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.