Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Re: Coolant Additives

6-71 are dry-liner engines and not succeptable to cavitation erosion.

Try that trick on 92s and over 20 years you'd have holes in the liners.....

Re: Coolant Additives

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis
    6-71 are dry-liner engines and not succeptable to cavitation erosion.
    So Karl,
    Am I OK leaving Prestone in my 6-71's?

3. Re: Coolant Additives

I wouldn't...... but the specific issue that will DEFINITELY get you is less of a factor in your engines.

OK, I'll drain & save the Prestone. This spring, I'll replace with PowerCool or equilivant and reuse the Prestone for winter storage only.

Ummm...do I need to do the same with my trusty old ONAN?
    Last edited by Passages; 02-09-2006 at 05:58 PM.

5. Re: Coolant Additives

Should you? Yes. Only diesel-formulated coolants should be used in diesels.

Prestone is the all time worst for silicone dropout. I would not use it all in a marine engine.

I hate to beat this to death but I'm at home and have in front of me the circa 1976 Detroit Diesel In-Line 71 Operators Manual. Page 76 under ANTIFREEZE states:
    ...minimum 30% maximum 67% permanent antifreeze must be used when freeze protection is required...an inhibitor system is included in this type antifreeze and no additional inhibitors are required...
    ...Ethylene glycol base antifreeze is recommended...
    ...methyl Alcohol antifreeze is not recomended...
    ...Methoxy Propanol may be used...
    ...Antifreeze with sealer addititives is not recommended...

Nowhere do I see any warning about using DD specific antifreeze or prohibition against using automotive antifreeze.

What am I missing? Where are the references to DD approved coolants/antifreeze?

DD has updated their specs and recommendations throughout the years. If you have a 1976 manual it may not reflect todays recommendations. I would check with DD for the latest updates.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

The DD service manual for V71 engines published 1989 states:

"When freeze protection is required, use an antifreeze that meets the GM6038M formulation..."

The current info, published on DDs website states that for 53, 71, and 92 series engines (nothing about V's or not) states you should use Power Cool or if not: "Fully formulated ethylene glycol-based, low silicate antifreeze or coolant must meet TMC RP-329 “Type A” requirements."

The specs that antifreeze meets is on the container somewhere. I have no idea of the difference between GM6038M and TMC RP-329.
    Last edited by MikeP996; 02-09-2006 at 08:44 PM.

10. Re: Coolant Additives

Here's the link to Detroit's recommendations....

http://www.detroitdiesel.com/Public/...res/7SE298.pdf