Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Coolant Additives

I have a 1980 53 sportfisher with 1271TI's. I have been using standard Prestone coolant mixed 50/50. My mechanic is recommending Nalcool 3000 additive to help with corrosion protection. Is this advisable for this application?

Re: Coolant Additives

When I had 6V92 DD engines I used a similar product from the NAPA auto parts I think it was called Napa Cool. Detroits run cooler with only water and Nalcool than they do with antifreeze. I only used antifreeze in the winter and drained it for the warmer months.

3. Re: Coolant Additives

You NEED the conditioners.

Fleetguard makes some, along with a few others. Make sure you are using a HEAVY DUTY low-silicate anti-freeze - NOT automotive stuff. Any diesel-rated antifreeze is ok.

You then need the inhibitors (assuming they're not in the coolant already - check the label!)

A good investment is the coolant test strips - they'll tell you what's in the coolant and what you need to add - if any.

I just use DD antifreeze. Costs more but it's what they recommend. Of course, they want to sell it to you, but you can't go wrong.

Doug

5. Re: Coolant Additives

Fleetguard is known for high quality antifreeze and the proper inhibitors. About half the cost of the DD product, and works just as well. However, you have to make it up.

This is what the fleet guys (trucks, etc) run - its good stuff. It also meets DD's published specs....

It is NOT automotive antifreeze....
    Last edited by Genesis; 06-02-2005 at 10:28 PM.

CAT has a list of antifreezes they approve, but the big thing is using their additive package, which is not expensive and evidently helps a lot. FYI I would use what DD recommends, the cost of antifreeze is less than the cost of an engine...

If you use the DD antifreeze and need to spice it up, the NAPA COOL is the same as the DD Nalcool for about half the price. It's even the same color!

The DD antifreeze is a little pricey but good insurance as it's formulated for these beasts! Just use the NAPA additive as called for by the test strips and you'll get some good hours out of the mix.

K

Quick flollow-up on this post, that Nalco (now DD Powercool), specifically addresses a crevice corrosion issue where the cyl kits bed to the block. DD's set up a high frequency vibration that results in micro bubbles that can precipite the corrosion. Nalco and competitive products reduce/eliminates this corrosion...so I am told...or have read.

NAPA is still carrying NAPA Cool and Fleet Charge anti-freeze for heavy duty engines (meets DD 7SE298). Don't keep much in stock, but can have in store 2 days.

I began flushing my coolant systems (8V71TI) this weekend and the fluids are coming out pretty clear now, after several flushes. Mostly green on the stbd, a little rusty on the port. After much research on this and other forums, it seems that most that are "in the know" are either using Nalcool, some version of Detroit's Powercool (regular, plus, plus marine, etc.) or Fleetguard's Fleet Charge. The Detroit Diesel Powercool is also $15.99 but unfortunately it is over 120 mile roundtrip to the closest Detroit dealer for me. The Fleet Charge is available locally at NAPA for $15.99/gal and meets Detroit spec DD7SE298. Fleet Charge also has the additives and inhibitors already in the concentrate, eliminating the need for anything other than some distilled water.
    I am all for putting only the RIGHT fluids in my engines, but I do not necessarily need a brand name product as long as all the specs are met. Is there any reason for me to not buy the Fleet Charge locally as opposed to traveling to the DD for some version of their Powercool?