Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Weeping canvas....

Okay so I've just installed new black Sunbrella all over the boat (bimini, aft deck, hand rails, pulpit) and some of it is weeping extensively down onto the hull. What's the deal? Thought Sunbrella was the good stuff.

How do I treat it?

Re: Weeping canvas....

There are many waterproofing materials you could use, however, for price and effectiveness, I like the stain proofing you can buy for fabrics and carpet. The name escapes me but I am sure someone remembers. When I get back to the boat I will look it up.

If it is new, I'd make the canvas shop fix it. They should stand behind their work. And if it is a problem with the material itself, then they should get the manufacturer involved and make it right.

We put dark green Sunbrella on our last boat and had no problems at all. Is it stain(color) that is weeping or just water leaks?
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 05-31-2005 at 07:40 PM. Reason: I try to type to fast

The re-waterproofing product is 303, which BoatUS and West have. However if this is new Sunbrella and it has not been washed it should not be doing this. Is it weeping through the fabric or is it weeping through the seams that the canvas shop sewed when they assembled the pieces? If the color is weeping this is very unusual and you may have a bad batch of fabric. The other possibility is that it is not Sunbrella, that they used another brand of acrylic solution-dyed canvas. But if this is a new installation, they should be out at your boat and FAST. Good luck.