Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Repalce stbd gear

To replace or rebuild stbd gear on a 53' hat with twin dd, are we talking big money?

Re: Repalce stbd gear

Quote Originally Posted by CAPT CHARLIE View Post
    To replace or rebuild stbd gear on a 53' hat with twin dd, are we talking big money?
    Replace with a different gear or remove, rebuild and reinstall. Are they Allisons?
    Jack Sardina

Normal size money is fine. Just a lot of it.

If the gear is trashed replacing it could cost a bit. hard to know what it will cost to repair it without taking it out and tearing it down first.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    Replace with a different gear or remove, rebuild and reinstall. Are they Allisons?
    saltshaker,
    Allison reduction gear transmission. Not my boat, so I don't have a lot of info. If you have an idea of cost..price both rebuild and replace. Some general idea is fine.
    Last edited by CAPT CHARLIE; 10-27-2010 at 05:11 PM.

I did an MH20 2 years ago in Kalamazoo, Mi. for $3400. Gears were good; had some bad bearings. ws

yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

I had one rebuilt in a 46C about 10 years ago. Cost then was around 4K and that included rebuilding the motor mounts on both engines. I would think 5K would do it providing the gear is rebuildable. If the housing is cracked or you have a broken shaft then the price can go way up. Why do you think the gear is bad? Is it running poorly or is it locked up. Get as much info as you can and then call Acadian Marine Transmission. They are the source for Allison parts and gears. You can buy a rebuilt unit from them or send them your gear for repair. http://www.acadianmarinetransmission.com/site.php

If this is a boat you are thinking of buying, I will estimate on the high side since you don't know what you are getting into. If this is a MY the cost to remove and replace can be higher since the gear has to be moved through the cabin. On a SF a boom through the salon door can pick up the gear and remove it pretty easily.
    Jack Sardina

Correct! I had to cut and reframe the salon floor (TC model) and slide it on a steel pan on a greased plank to the V berth and out the forward hatch. Now which way to the Giza plateau? ws

Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 10-27-2010 at 08:04 PM.
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

I had my port gear rebuilt for $2700 by the guys in Louisiana. Allison M20. I think you can get a totally rebuilt gear from them for $4400, not sure whether you have to send them yours or not.

Generally the gears are ok its the seals, clutch and output shaft that go out, due mostly to inadequate supply of oil to upper outputs, a design flaw.
    Last edited by ron6785; 10-30-2010 at 10:38 PM.

"clutch and output shaft that go out, due mostly to inadequate supply of oil to upper outputs, a design flaw."

As far as that particular issue, it was corrected by Allison as a running change. The tranny service manual states from which model number that change occurred. I am not on the boat so I can't look it up but I posted that info here a few months ago. If the tranny in question is prior to that number, there is no way to be sure the mod was done later unless there is some sort of paperwork on the boat showing that or the tranny is marked in some way by whoever did the mod. The tranny manual shows how to make the mod but does not recommend any particular marking for the tranny to show the mod has been made. So absent paperwork or something arbitrarily marked on the tranny, I don't know how you would determine for sure either way.

OTOH, if the boat has been run hard and the tranny is still OK, odds are, the mod was made. But the tranny has to be disassembled to make the mod which is basically nothing more than drilling a hole!

If the tranny(s) are prior to the known serial number of modded trannys, this would be an excellent point for negotiation if there is no record of it being done because if it has not been done, it IS just waiting to fail.

I have heard overhaul prices (mechanics coming to the boat to remove, carry off, rebuild/reinstall) up to 10k depending on what was needed/who did the work. The trannies are rather simple and technically are not difficult to overhaul BUT the issue is manhandling them - 350 lbs and rather awkward access in some case. Kind of "need 4 guys to carry it but only 2 will fit" stuff.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

I think that mod to the M series was merely a hole drilled in the upper bearing cover to splash more oil into that bearing. The MH model has a different cover that can come off (Doesnt need to tho) as its already been modified. To do the M mod. you need to pull the flange and the cover to make it happen... ws

M series showing one piece cover

MH off the sub. Notice independant covers for bearings

Even with three of us on it and a chain fall, it seemed heavier than 350# Just MHO
    yachtsmanWILLY