Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

3160 cat problems

i have 3160 cats in my 38my.. we took from key west to key largo a couple wks agoto have hauled just before arriving to key largo i got engine alarm on port low oil pressure we also lost coolant, its now in minnesota and im in the middle of winterizing refilled with coolant and its leaking out the waterpump, it appears that oil has stained the front of the engine as well. can oil and water leak out when the waterpump fails? i just dont see anyplace else where we could have lost oil..but what a frickin mess in the bilges now, i sucked as much as i could out and tried using oildiapers is there a cleaner i can use that i can just dump int he bilges to let it slosh around to break it up next spring ?

Re: 3160 cat problems

Dawn dish soap and hot water, with a long wood handled brush. You really ought to consider adding a few Disesa plugs while yer in there.

I did one in front of each engine. Open them in the fall and wash all the crud out the bottom. Catch it all in a big bucket if that floats yer boat. At our yard, its part of the dust control program! I also put in garboard plugs for the engine bays as well. The bilge stays spic Y span... ws

Looks pretty darn good for a boat that sank dontcha think? You got a little oil down there... I had slime over the ENTIRE interior of the 58TC !!
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

hmm not a bad idea since no drain plugs for the bilges, but my main concern is the oil loss . my water pump is leaking now so ive figured that problem. but what about the oil? the front of the engine has some evidence of oil staining(kind of all over the front of it) can the engine lose oil if the waterpump fails???? im short on time up here so i may just fill it with oil so i can wintriz the raw water side and worry about it later

Low levels on either compliment the other... to a point. My 12-71s are kinda tired, and if my AF gets low the temp rises and the OP drops. Never been that low on oil to cause the reverse tho...
    Sending units are notorius for mystery leaks. Also if bubba used a brass fitting instead of steel (not cast iron either!!!) you may have a crack and leak there. You really need to dye check for leaks with a black lite. The reults are instantaneous. ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Dust control.LOL we used to have a farm once a year we had a guy come in with a 8000gal tank truck full of who knows what to oil the roads. When I was a kid the old man used to send me around with a bucket of drain oil to water the telephone poles.
    If yer bilge is spicky span yer not running enough.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

6. Re: 3160 cat problems

I don't know the Cat engine, but usually the oil and coolant only come into near contact via an oil cooler...not a water pump....

For a water pump leak, you'll have to tighten the pump if loose, rebuild or replace if seals are leaking....

Sounds like your oil alarm went off....but the oil level is ok?? What did your oil pressure gauge tell you??

If the oil level is low, then of course you need to look for an oil leak...it might be outside the engine or leaking into coolant or raw water if either is used to cool the oil....
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

no its low on oil. oil went into the bilge. the water pump is leaking from the shaft seal, 99.9% sure anyway since all i did was pull the belt guard off and take a peek. well today im going to fill with oil and fire it well see what happens

8. Re: 3160 cat problems

Ok, if low on oil and oil in bilge: If you are going to have an oil pressure problem, that's the best kind to have...the easiest to diagnose and correct...

As long as the oil is not milky (off white) there is little to no chance of water or coolant intrusion into the oil....you can always take an oil sample for analysis BEFORE adding all the new oil to satisfy your curiosity for $25 or $30.
    Last edited by REBrueckner; 10-24-2010 at 09:56 AM.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

idk. added oil fired it up let it run for 5 min cant seee any oil loss...huh weird

but there is a pipe coming out the front of the engine that goes to a T with senders on it and it swivels , looks like that may have been the culprit as its oily, but not leaking now