Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    divernc Guest

Re: Temps...

Much thanks, your instructions are very detailed and logical.

In step 5, what is the "airhorn" I am sittting on? The top of the blower assembly?

I do have mechanical gauges, but would like to check with my IR hand-held. Where should I "shoot" the engine to test?

Genesis Guest

Yes.

Yes on the airhorn.

The thermostat housing (on either side) is the place to "shoot" with an IR thermometer to determine engine coolant temperature.

divernc Guest

Re: Yes.

My raw water pump (Jabsco) impellers on 6V92TAs are 14 months old, have 110 hours on them. Operated in no-silt, saltwater conditions. They look good (knobs still on end of vanes, flexible). Do these loose stiffness or strength over time, even though physically they appear fine? What is a reasonable cycle time or hours to change?

How often should the cam in the pump be changed?

Does DD sell a complete kit or impellers, cam, cover, etc. as separates?

Genesis Guest

Impellers

I change mine annually. Its overkill I'm sure, but losing one 100nm offshore would suck, and so would having to change one in a 120F engine room in 6' seas!

The impellers are about $70 or so each, which isn't too terrible. They DO take a set, even if they appear fine, and pump less. Critical? How warm is your water and how hot do the engines run? If you're breaking 180F at normal power settings, you want to check why, and that's an excellent place to start.

The cams do not often need replacement. If its not broke, don't fix it. If the pump is not putting out enough water even with a new impeller, that's the next thing to try. If THAT fails to fix it, then the bore is probably damaged and a new pump is in order. A new pump runs about $700.

Before chasing water pump problems make darn sure the entire raw water system is CLEAN. Surprisingly small amounts of fouling in the coolers will make these engines run hot.

divernc Guest

Re: Impellers

I called the DD outlet in my state and they wanted $31.50 each for the V-clamp with castellated nut that connects turbo outlet to exhaust collectors. Considerable more than $10 mentioned in this thread. Am I getting screwed or are we not talking the same part. Can anyone recommend a good DD distributor that does mail order business?

Genesis Guest

Call Marine Exhaust

... in Riviera Beach Florida.

They have 'em but want $26 each for them (per my latest numbers from them), which is still expensive, but better than the $31 you're being quoted.

DO NOT reuse these clamps. If one breaks on you while in operation the result will be an engine-room fire!