Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hatteras Television Wiring

On my 56 MY, I have the Hatteras flat TV wire throughout the boat and to the distribution block in the engine room. I have been able to use this wire with pretty good success for my Sat TV including using a new amplified distribution block. The problem is that the only thing I have found to convert the Hatteras flat two wire leads to a coax male to plug into the distribution block ends up in a push on male which will never be secure or tight enough to last for this purpose. So, short of soldering a piece of coax to the two wire leads from the flat wire, is there any Radio Shack or other small device where I can attach the two leads from the Hatters wire and end up in a male coax that is NOT a push on but rather a regular screw on.

Re: Hatteras Television Wiring

--- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Actually, that is only one part of the solution. I also need the matching splitter (Radio Shack 15-1297) as well as a short coax pigtail if I am going to go that route. Not a big deal, but I need five sets and paying $85 dollars for such a setup which will look like hell (a five armed octopus) when I am done seems like an inelegant way to go. Under this scenario, I will screw the two leads from the Hatteras wiring into the splitter and then what you have pictured into the splitter, and then attach a coax to the other end of what you have pictures. There must be a better way.

I'm a little confused by what you're doing here. You have a co-ax distribution block and want to attach two-wire to that? In other words you're actually looking for a female addapter?

Instead of a pigtail, can you use this:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...Value=Couplers

Personally I would clip off the terminals and solder and heat-shrink the two-wire leads to the matching transformer. That's about as "neat" as it can be done with Radio Shack level stuff.

Remember too, it's not just the style of connection. You're also trying to convert 75Ω lead to 300Ω so you need that transformer.
    Last edited by Avenger; 10-14-2010 at 10:01 AM.

1970 36C375

Actually, the male to male adapter takes care of the pigtail to the coax distribution block. The question then become how best to convert the two wires to a female coax. The transformer is one route and likely the best but I was trying to avoid soldering the ends of the two wires to the ends of the transformer. That is why that splitter etc with screw terminals comes into play. I guess you also answered my question whether I can just splice the coax ends to the two wires. The answer appears to be no because of different impedences. Other than the old Hatteras amplified distribution block which had screw terminals and not coax, are you aware of any amplified distribution block with screw terminals? That would do the trick nicely.

No, sorry I don't. Do your TVs take two-wire, or are you reconverting back to co-ax at the set? If you are I would consider breaking down and pulling new wire. Of course, that's very easy to say sitting at my desk here.

1970 36C375

Or, here's an idea for a mechanical patch. Use the push-ons to convert at the distribution block, then use a piece of plexiglass or something similar to screw down over the distribution block so the push-ons can't back off.

Just a thought.

1970 36C375

Good thought but the push ons on the distribution block right now are the main issue. Not only can they back off, they can also twist and turn leaving an opportunity for corrosion to do its dirty work. I guess we go with transformer, splitter and male to male. Thanks for the help. I wonder whether Roger Wetherington has a better soltion since I am sure he has been asked this question before.

I use dielectric grease on all my electrical connections including TV antenna stuff. Seems to hold up pretty well in the weather.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    I use dielectric grease on all my electrical connections including TV antenna stuff. Seems to hold up pretty well in the weather.

Hey scrod at least we agree on something.LOL I coat everything with DOW DC4 Best stuff ever on oil filter gaskets too
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present