Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How much oil in a 6V92TA?

Does anyone have a definitive answer to the question of how much oil the 6V92TA should have? My DD mech says add five gallons but this reads way over full on the dip stick. His answer is the dip sticks are wrong. My DD manual does not have the info. I do know that with this much oil, I 'burn' a couple of quarts off real fast. The happy point seems to be about four gallons and I've been running this way for years.

Bob
    Chateau de Mer
    1981 48MY

Re: How much oil in a 6V92TA?

Quote Originally Posted by bobk View Post
    Does anyone have a definitive answer to the question of how much oil the 6V92TA should have? My DD mech says add five gallons but this reads way over full on the dip stick. His answer is the dip sticks are wrong. My DD manual does not have the info. I do know that with this much oil, I 'burn' a couple of quarts off real fast. The happy point seems to be about four gallons and I've been running this way for years.

Bob
    Chateau de Mer
    1981 48MY
    I think it depends on the oil pan and how they are installed. I have 550HP versions with down angle gears so they sit flat in the ER. I use about 5.5 gls per engine when doing my oil change, not including gears. We put in 6 gls when filling after the rebuild. I use very little oil between oil changes, maybe 1-2 qts every 100 hours.
    Jack Sardina

Several oil pan configs for these DD. I have a 8v71 in my rv and when the dipstick reads full I burn or lose 3 qts in 50 miles. Then oil level stabilizes and is good for 1000 miles. I just marked my dipstick with an engraver at the after 50 mile level and now don't use much oil at all. An old timer bus mechanic told me running a DD at full oil level is a waste of money for just this reason.
    Chad

My 12's are the same, seems about 3/8" down from the original full mark is stable.

One of my friends who used to build and drive drag cars pointed out that too much oil in the sump just wastes energy and causes the engine to either vaporize or burn more of it. I figure the minimum needed for engine health is what you want. Wherever that is on the dipstick.

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    I think it depends on the oil pan and how they are installed. I have 550HP versions with down angle gears so they sit flat in the ER. I use about 5.5 gls per engine when doing my oil change, not including gears. We put in 6 gls when filling after the rebuild. I use very little oil between oil changes, maybe 1-2 qts every 100 hours.

mine are the same as yours and as yours do Tim

Quote Originally Posted by bobk View Post

Bob
    Chateau de Mer
    1981 48MY
    My 6v92ta's do not quite hold 5 gallons including filter. It's more like 4 1/2 each.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I checked my DD book "Marine Commercial Craft Library".

Doesn't seem to vary across the 6V-92 / 6V92TA regardless of rating.

States:

Oil Pan Capacity:
    High 20 quart (19 litres)
    Low 16 quart (15 litres)

Total Engine oil capacity with filter - 22 quart (21 litres)

In the service manual it confirms these numbers and further states:

"In a properly filled crankcase, the oil level must be below the crankshaft rear oil seal when the boat is at rest."

Hope that helps.

Thanks guys. It sounds like others have been doing the same thing I have and I guess I'll continue once I do the next change.

MagnaBill, thanks for the official numbers. My mech certainly had that correct.
    My port engine has a leaky rear main seal and I can sure see the effect of the difference in oil level. When on the low side the tranny fills slowly, when high it fills fast. But that tends to confirm the practice of keeping the oil level below the seal.

By the way, it is my observation as well as the mech's that only the port side seals leak on the 6V92's. Have any of you experienced the same?

Bob
    Chateau de Mer
    1981 48MY

Mine is a starboard main seal leak but the trannie oil remains clear for awhile.

(1981 43C---6V-92TA--425 hp.)