Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vicem and the new Trumpy

At the Newport Boat Show this weekend, weather good, having great time. Got a tour of the Vicem 72, a beautiful boat. Asked the salesman about the progress regarding the new Trumpy. He stated that Vicem had terminated their deal to build the hulls for them, because they had not been able to bring in a single buyer. Shame, I was waiting to see the finished product, the ads and website were very slick. Guess the market is just not there yet.

Re: Vicem and the new Trumpy

What Market?
    Jack Sardina

Could have had something to do with a Base price of 2.93 Million for the 63' version.

Quote Originally Posted by whaler23 View Post
    Could have had something to do with a Base price of 2.93 Million for the 63' version.
    particularly when no one is buying boats at any price. Hard to justify the depreciation new boats are seeing, even if you can afford it.
    Jack Sardina

It was a nice idea but too much of a niche market

And those willing to pay 3m for a 60 footer can afford the open check book restoration of a real Trumpy... Or buy a "real" Vicem, Hinckley, etc
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

That didn't last long, did it. It wasn't the first group to try and revive the Trumpy name, either; I think there were attempts in the past, a decade or two ago.

Sometimes you win on this kind of thing (Chris-Craft) sometimes you lose (Trumpy, Packard) and sometimes you can't tell even after quite a while (Indian) This certainly isn't the economy to be doing it in, I think. Maybe later.

I was looking forward to seeing the Hatteras 60GT, but that was also absent. The only Hatt in the show was a 54 in the brokerage section.

I was on the Vicem 74 fly bridge last year at the FLIBS show- a quality piece of art. The large 92 FB wasn't half as nice...
    Formally Top Hatt and Tails
    1980 53MY

The "new" Trumpy Yachts effort is still underway. Although the deal with Vicem has ended, Trumpy has another builder. I spoke to Jock West by phone on Thursday. He was at the Newport Show, and was calling me to perhaps arrange a nice "vintage" Trumpy for display at the Annapolis Show.

There is an amazing amount of interest in Trumpy Yachts, as is evident by the number of hits on my website for my Trumpy listings. The Trumpy boats are always at the top of the hits list, but I receive no inquiry. Perhaps just looking at the photos online is enough of a Classic Yachting experience for most folks.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    ... Perhaps just looking at the photos online is enough of a Classic Yachting experience for most folks.
    They sure are nice to look at.
    Jack Sardina