Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Exhaust Extensions on 53MY

While looking at boats prior to purchasing the current one; I saw some exhaust extensions that I thought would really cut down on the "station wagon" effect. They are made from schedule 40 PVC and extend the exhaust out under the swim platform and direct it out the side. I am hopeful that this will cut down most exhaust smell at slow speeds with aft salon doors open and also reduce soot/smoke residue during "long" cruises. Other Hatt men in our marina have asked the owner there to make them a set; even on a gas powered boat to move the exhaust out. I will post pictures in the tech section tomorrow. We are going to leave them "raw" (unpainted) for now until we do some "design verification" (cruising); but it will be easy to paint them to match the hull/waterline. The are not attached to the transom, just caulked around the exhaust flange. My yard fabricated wood and metal fastenings which hold them to the swim platform, that way if for some reason they break off the boat will not be damaged/affected.

2. Re: Exhaust Extensions on 53MY

Make sure you take manometer readings to verify that exhaust restriction is within specification with these on the boat.

Excessive backpressure does severe harm to diesel engines......