Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

3M 4000 bedding compound

I removed the overhead hatch in the bow of my boat today and used 3M's 4000 to rebed it. It took me 20 minutes to squeeze enough compound out of the tube to do the bottom of the hatch. It was very stiff and I had to use all my strength. I was so disgusted I went to another marine store and bought another tube. Same way. Another 20 minutes to squeeze enough out to complete the job. I have never used this product before so I'm not certain the tubes I got were old or is this normal. Anybody have experience using it?

Re: 3M 4000 bedding compound

Check the 3M website. I think that is where I saw a chart of the shelf life of their sealants compared to others. I don't know about the 4000, but 5200 is supposed to have a shelf life of 12 months as compared to Sikaflex at only 6 months. Sounds like you just got some old stuff--twice.

3. Re: 3M 4000 bedding compound

You got some old stuff.

I've used this before and its been fine - about the same as 4200 or 5200. I used it to rebed my windless rather than 4200 or 5200 because it remains pliable and is UV resistant.

Glad to hear that it was probably old. I wonder if they print a date code on the tube so you know ahead of time. I spent hours preparing the surfaces beforehand so after I started spreading it, I had to continue before it cured on me. It was so hard the back of the tube broke and it got all over my hands. I figured it must be old stuff, that's why I went to a different store for the second tube. Oh well that's is what boating's all about.

4000 should be the same consistency as 5200 if it's fresh. It's very sticky and flows slowly when applied, like an epoxy resin. If yours was stiff or not very sticky, check to make sure it sealed OK. BTW - Exposed surfaces will be tacky for days until UV light finishes curing it. That's normal.

I purchased some of the same stuff, 4000, and had the exact same problem. I worked that tube to death and finally took it back to West Marine to get something else. I handed it to the manager and asked him to see what he thought. After squeezing as hard as he could he looked at me and said I guess your right. He gave me another tube of 4000 which I haven't opened yet. I guess I'll get something else, that stuff is too stiff for me. Tony D

You should call 3M if you have a problem. They are a great company and I bet that they would do whatever it takes to make you happy

I find the temperature of the tube makes a huge difference to the ease with which the compound is willing to be persuaded from the tube.

On a 50 degree day I find the tube is unworkable. I put it on a warm surface (I use one of the engines which are being heated by my Kabola furnace - probably about 80 degrees) for 20 minutes and it comes out like a charm.

Best regards - Murray
    --
    Murray G.
    Vancouver, Canada
    1971 58 YF

That's a great tip Murray. The temperature was in the 50's when I did the work, but I didn't think to heat the tube. Although it was difficult getting the compound out of the tube, it cured and my hatch is leak free.
    Ron