Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bio-diesel.... Pros And Cons

Ok fellas, with all the talk of high oil prices at the pump, what alternatives do we have for the old Detroits?

Bio diesel comes to mind. It seams it is the one alterative that has the most promising future and is being used in some places now.

the question is:

1. how good is it compaired to the standard diesel we currently have at the pump.

2. would you feed your old Dertoits with it?

3. I read some where that bio diesel has the tendency to break down rubber hoses and other seals. has any one experienced this?

4. does it really smell like french fries while under way?

Re: Bio-diesel.... Pros And Cons

I read somewhere that bio-diesel degrades 4-5 times faster than regular diesel fuel. That seems like a major shortcoming if correct.

We were discussing the fuel prices yesterday at the marina. I estimate the cost of fuel for our 53 this year won't be any more than $1000 higher than it would have been at last year's prices. Although I'd rather the prices were less, the additional fuel price is not really significant when considering the total cost of owning/operating the boat for the year. We spent way more than that last year with our previous boat in overnight slip fees. Since we plan to anchor out virtually all the time, we'll actually MAKE money!

good point...i run 200hrs / year, at 11gph on average...2200 gallons... what's price difference... don't even know... 0.30 / USG ? so $660 a year?

let's see... I've already saved at least 300 genset hours so far since I've installed the inverter in december... 300 USG ... $ 750 ...

hey... I made money too!
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

It is funny how owning a boat makes one incredibly skillful at rationalizations - especially when it comes to the costs associated with owning a boat :-)

My wife always tells me I live in a fantasy world when I tell her how owning a boat is actually, on balance, a great idea financially. I know it is complete fabrication on my part. It is just entertaining to see others engage in the same activity.

Yes - my boats are the best investments I've ever made. Hell - I've only lost a couple hundred thousand dollars on them over the last 5 years or so. Compared to the market up until last year, they were downright excellent investments :-)

Take care - Murray

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal
    good point...i run 200hrs / year, at 11gph on average...2200 gallons... what's price difference... don't even know... 0.30 / USG ? so $660 a year?

let's see... I've already saved at least 300 genset hours so far since I've installed the inverter in december... 300 USG ... $ 750 ...

hey... I made money too!
    --
    Murray G.
    Vancouver, Canada
    1971 58 YF

Hi Pascal and Mike,

I agree with the point you make about the reletively small cost difference between regular and inflated price of fuel.

but would you feel comfortable using bio fuel? heck, lets say the price is the same for each for conversation sake.

Quote Originally Posted by first230sl
    It is funny how owning a boat makes one incredibly skillful at rationalizations - especially when it comes to the costs associated with owning a boat :-)

My wife always tells me I live in a fantasy world when I tell her how owning a boat is actually, on balance, a great idea financially. I know it is complete fabrication on my part. It is just entertaining to see others engage in the same activity.

Yes - my boats are the best investments I've ever made. Hell - I've only lost a couple hundred thousand dollars on them over the last 5 years or so. Compared to the market up until last year, they were downright excellent investments :-)

Take care - Murray

Hey Murray,

you know, people sometimes ask me "why don't you invest your money instead of buying that boat" which I reply with "I am investing it, in the quality of my familys life".

by the way Murray would you use bio diesel?

I don't know anything about Bio diesel so if, at this moment I was filling Brigadoon and had the choice of bio or normal, I'd put normal in the tanks. If Bio supplies the proper amount of lubrication needed for the DD injectors and related system parts, I'd use Bio.

But when hydrogen-power becomes available at the marina, I'll switch these DDs over to that!

8. Re: Bio-diesel.... Pros And Cons

BioD is just fine. Run it if you can find it.

Have lots of clean fuel filters. Its a serious detergent and will flush all the crap in your system.

What is it? I use "Bio Diesel" fuel additive every time I fill my tanks but this sounds like something already mixed or specially refined?

Doug

10. Re: Bio-diesel.... Pros And Cons

Biodiesel is diesel fuel made from biological oils instead of petroleum.