Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: spin on oil filter adapter

I converted my 8v53's with a Fram adapter from the local auto parts store. I don't have the part # here but I'll see if it is on the boat this weekend and post it next week. It takes a Detroit spin on and I'll get that # also.
    Fred

Does anyone have the number of the oil filter. Bill

I looked and did not see the filter mentioned. Does anyone know the Fram Filter to use on a 6v92?
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Are you talking about the spin-on filter number?

If so, I have spin-on adapters on both engines and gears. The engines have the longer spin-on filter (approximately 10") and on the gears I use a shorter spin-on filter (approximately 6").

I don't have the Fram #'s, but on the gears I use either a Wix 51810 or Baldwin B105, on the engines I use a Wix 51970 or Baldwin B95.

PH3612 Fram

I would avoid Fram. I've read some bad stuff about their quality. Napa is good, as is Wix. Here's the numbers I have: Wix 51970 NAPA 1970 A/C PF911
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

anyone have a # for shorter oil filters ?
    Last edited by Canuck Dennis; 12-27-2012 at 06:25 PM.

When I rehired my of lines a few years ago, I also removed the fram spin on adapters and went to DD adapters. The Fram on the port side had a crack in the adapter and starting oozing. My $0.02.
    Formally Top Hatt and Tails
    1980 53MY

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    hey everybody the same adapter fits the gears, the gears use the same canister as a 4 53, after the conversion you can either use the same filter as the engine [if you have the room] or you can use the same filter that would go on a 4 53 with the spin on filter, its about 4 inches shorter. bigbill
    I have the spin owns both engine and trans somthing was said the last time this came up about leaks. Especially the transmission. Mine always leaks a little at the seal. It was also a question about the transmission pressure may be to much for the thin wall spin owns thats why the canisters were used . For that reason each visit to the engine roon i look and feel to see if it has gotten bigger. Any thoughts?
    Should i worry is one filter better quality than another i thought wicks pretty much produced them all. Tim

Wix makes Napa and they might (I do not know) make the Detroits too, I use the Detroit full flows 23530408 since the local DD place, now Western Branch but the same gal is there though Jessie is gone) sells them at about the same price as Napa. Baldwin makes their own B95 or B95MPG. Haven't got up the courage to convert the trans to spin on.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014