Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Re: spin on oil filter adapter

I'll be over on the boat tonight and will look. I'm using a WIX part for the spin-ons.

Re: spin on oil filter adapter

k 3390 fram adapter is what i used on my 8v71s and my allison m 20 gears. they are working fine at the dock, no leaks, will find out how they hold up under load this week on the way to destin from mississippi.

I'm definitely going to get the adapter for the gears...

now, for the mains (8V71Ns), I have racor filters, big square housing with a large SS mesh inside. They are a major main in the butt... spill at least a quart when I open them, no way around considering how they are made, and then that large disk has to be cleaned.

do they offer better filtration than the spin on filters? are they worth keeping?

I'm thinking about converting to the spin on adapter too if it woudl fit.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I just ordered the filter adapters for my M20 gears from my local Napa store. Thanks for the info.

5. Re: spin on oil filter adapter

The mesh filters are TREMENDOUSLY inferior to modern spin-on media, such as what Baldwin and others have available.

Get those out of there.

thks Karl....

this is what i have riht now with the hoses going to the filter. seems like this adapter can just be unscrewed and spin on filter installed or is that too easy... Is there a remote spin on holder i could use connected to these existing hoses? that would let me place the filter in a better location...
    Attached Images
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

7. Re: spin on oil filter adapter

Does the back of that thing GO anywhere (e.g. is there an oil passage behind it?) or is it just bolted to the engine?

If just bolted on, move away. I suspect you'll need a different adapter block, but they're not very expensive, and of course if you want to move the location you might need new hoses (those ends look kinda ratty - the ends can be reused, and most of them can be taken off and on without tools, but in the large sizes they're a LOT of fun to do)

hey pascal they do make a remote filter head. i got one from detroit dealer, and had the hoses custom made, its a little more expensive than the bolt on type that goes where the filter was originally. i had to put a remote type on my port engine, the only thing i could get under the filter when i drained it was a rag,[big mess].its a lot easier and a lot less mess with this set up. bigbill

Any suggestion on what to use for 8V53's as a spin on??

In our quarry operation we used to run alot of 53's and 71's. We converted all of them to spin-ons years ago. I think all of the adapters came from the local Napa store. I would try calling one of the large auto parts stores and give them the cartridge number that you have now. They should be able to cross the number over to find the correct adapter.