Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

spin on oil filter adapter

does anyone know if an adapter is made, and where can it be purchased to convert the canister type filters to spin on type for 8v71ti's, and for allison gears. they are in my 1977 46c. i'm tired of cleaning up the mess associated with these filters. thanks bigbill

2. Re: spin on oil filter adapter

YES on the Allison Gears. I got a pair of them a year or so ago.

If I recall they were $70 each. I'll look around and see if I can find the name and phone number of the place where they came from.

Re: spin on oil filter adapter

Thanks Karl,

I think I'll wait to change my gear oil and then I can do the conversion at the same time. No use making an oil mess twice.

I found the adapter for the engine. stewart and stevenson in new orleans had it. it isn't a detroit part though, fram makes it, the part number is k3390 if anyone is interested. 39.00 dollars. that is worth the mess made during one oil change. i am going to compare it to the tranny filter and housing tomorrow when i do my oil change, i will let everyone know what i find out. bigbill

Bigbill, the adapter you are referring to is that for the engine crankcase oil? If so, does this adapter somehow screw into the cannister housing, thus allowing you then to use a spin on oil filter? Is it that simple? Please advise.

Yes, the Fram adaptor bolts onto the existing housing with a center bolt. I bought mine right from the local DD dealer, same price (about $40.00)
    Fred

hey everybody the same adapter fits the gears, the gears use the same canister as a 4 53, after the conversion you can either use the same filter as the engine [if you have the room] or you can use the same filter that would go on a 4 53 with the spin on filter, its about 4 inches shorter. bigbill

When I bought my spin on filter adapter at DD for my 8V92 engines, they told me that you couldn’t use that type of filter in the gears because of the high pressure, that you have to use only the canisters.( original system) ????????

9. Re: spin on oil filter adapter

Bull, if we're talking about Allison gears.

I run adapters on mine along with spin-on filters. No problems.

The cannister filters are prone to leakage around the lip seal. A friend of mine had a blow-out on one offshore and had to limp in on one engine, plus he had a hell of a mess to clean up.

That dissuaded me from letting that happen in my case; I put the adapters on, as did he. Neither of us has had any trouble with them.

that’s good to know, it is a mess trying to install the old system when i do my oil changes.
    Do you have the part number for the filter that would go with the Spin on adapter for the Allison mh20 transmission?
    Thanks