Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: 45C Water Question?

I bought one of those portable icemakers for our Bahama trips and wow, they really make ice! $249 delivered from the net and plenty cold goombay smash to go around. We leave Saturday for two weeks and hope to return with some nice hatt island pics.

You guys have never lived in the country. We have cisterns all over the place. Our water is iron water ( rotten eggs) its pumped into a large holding tank, 1500 gallon, and left there for weeks.Then pumped to the house. This is a common practice. The cottage I stay in, in the Bahamas, uses the same type of system except they collect rain water and dump it into a holding tank. I will stick with the peroxide treatment. It dosn't linger in the water and does not leave a bad taste. Besides, what would live in a alcoholic drink? Sometimes I think you guys worry too much. Bill

Amen.

Same thing - I spent several years as a youngster living on a farm in Kansas. All the water from the well and cisterns (rainwater) was pumped into the large tank and then fed into the house. One of my chores was to pull the intake sediment filter out of the well and knock all the junk out of it. Used to get tons of ants (yes, ants) plugging the intake filter during the spring - I had to pull and clean the filter every day after school.

Ok. Different question.

For those of us who do use the water for drinking, coffee, and ice, how long would you have to boil it to make it PERFECTLY safe?

During the water outages after Ivan, FEMA recommended that all water pumped into the house be boiled for 10 mins, if I remember correctly. We had to do that until the water was declared safe. It took awhile for the water co. to ramp back up again.