Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: More Kudos

1. Re: More Kudos

Quote Originally Posted by (Nobody You Know)
    If had the money I would own 4 or 5 Hatteras's (very old 1961s to DCMYs of the mid 80s). I am in love with the old style boats. I find it hard to believe that in 30 some odd years future boaters will have the same affection for the boats (all brands) manufactured today. Like the 1958 Impalas or '57 Thunderbirds, some things will always be cherished.

Capt'n Bill
    '58 Impalas? You must really be dislexic (though I don't remember anything special about '85 Impalas) or just hit the wrong ending number! Either that or you really do like different things! '58 Impalas are generally known for being the model that brought a grinding halt to Chevy's string of classics with the '55-'57 models.

I know I have been labeled as a complainer by some on this forum, but that is far from the truth especially where Sam's and Hatteras in concerned. I love my old Hatts, and I too love hanging out with fellow owners who share my appreciation for all the previously mentioned. I have made it my mission in life to meet as many like-minded members as possible.

The tech stuff is helpful, but the real people who make up this forum are by far the best reason to be a part of it.
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com
    Randy Register - Kingston, Tennessee - aka Freeebird aka Sparky1
    www.forumlychallengedboaters.com

Re: More Kudos

SAMS MARINE RULES!
    Last edited by thoward; 12-21-2006 at 02:44 PM.
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son

Just FYI for the tech guys. I know at least 3 owners who dont post or read because "its too boring". One of them was instrimental in my purchase of a Hatt. He has one of the nicest series 1 36's and would be glad to show it of to all who come by. He will not spend his time talking tech if he can press the flesh.

I think he has a good idea. Spend the time running, repairing and relaxing on them. The forum is for social and technical stuff but the social stuff is falling off because of fear of being sent away.

If I am tossed like some say the bird was I will still have a life and a boat. While I have much to learn and much to do I cant imagine doing it alone. I treasure the other owners company and their help.

Lets start getting more posts on the sandbar. It is the place to socialize or to set up the meetings.

I think some members don't participate for fear of asking a "dumb" question or giving "bad" advice. This should not be the case, but some don't feel confident in posting to the technical side. However, if you look at the growing number of members and the total number online at any one time, it keeps going up. This shows me that those same people may not post very often, but the do enjoy reading the technical posts.

I would encourage anyone who seeks more information to ask a question. We have a great membership here that is more than willing to give their opinions and advice(me included). We can't force people to participate. The Sandbar may not see the volume that some would like, but that is not the fault of the moderators or Sams. It seems to me that Sams have gone out of their way to give us a place to discuss non-technical issues. I don't go there too often because that is not why I joined this site, but I will admit that I do enjoy some of the topics and discussion. I think it was a great addition and I'm sure it will grow in time as the other part has.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I agree some may be shy because they do not feel Qualified for the technical items but they are "Family" too. I hope they join us on the sandbar where they can be comfortable.

As for Sams I love them. Sorry to say I do not buy a lot from them but I call them when I need the stuff and they are always great.

Its great to be on their forum and I hope they appreciate how much it means to many of us boaters. I also hope they understand that no one here needs a boat. We all want them and we are living our dreams. If we can enjoy the social side of the sport ( obsession ) here too that our hosts have made us welcome.

Technical information is the meat of the forum. Social interaction is the potatoes. Please do not force me onto the atkins diet for boaters but the regular one is fine.

To the moderators i would like to add a thank you for the thankless job you do and I appreciate the time and effort.

I will be trying to get a meet and greet for owners between Daytona and Ft Pierce or so at a centraly located place ( by land ) like a pub or restaurant and would like to invite anyone from the forum to come on out. Maybe someone from Sams or Hatteras would like to come on out too. No cost just friendship.

I may have been a bit strong on the social side but I do take full advantage of the tech side and do make it a point to add when I have somthing to share. I am trying to get people to understand the importance of practical experiance and book knowledge. The differance between Knowledge and wisdom.

My point is that a teacher is more effective in person than having a student read a book. I helped Steve H fix his boat the other day because I had the knowledge and the practical expeiance on those engines to figure it out and Steve had the right idea but didn't have the hands on experiance with that problem before. The mechanic who previously worked on it mad a mistake and few people would have caught it.

I did but a boat to meet new friends. I find boaters to be some of the best people G-D ever made. I also have lots of friends and I have room for more. No one is forcing themselves in your front door here I and others are just looking to meet our brethren and enjoy.

As for Sams I have spokento their people more than once and they are great. Give them some credit as the site may be a ling for them to do business but after speaking with some of their peoplr there is a side you don't give credit for. Benevolence. The do host this site for more than profit. They do have a host of knowledge that they share willingly. I don't see them with a 900 number for tech support an d they dont rape us on prices. Why would they become upset if we live the Hatteras lifestyle.

As for the Bird he is an OK guy. he is not a hands on technical person and is not the type to fake it on the tech side. Respect him for that since its honest. He is a social person and should be of no concern to anyone as long as he maintains "PG" status.

If I remember a list of 10 items in Washington DC has something like " I don't have to like what you say but I will stand for your right to say it".

For me the social side is just as or more important. Heck I do the tech stuff all day. I love boats and just enjoy talking and being around them. I also love to seewhat people do to their boats and to see mint vintage boats as well as new. I would love to see some rendevous and get togethers. Randy started the ball rolling, hopefully it can be continued.
    I also have a love of old Chris Crafts and specifically Commanders. There is a Commander club that has get togethers and there is just as much fun as their is boat talk. There are some extremely smart and talented people on that forum, but it always stays friendly. There is none of the pompous arrogance that occasionally shows up here.
    I would hope that no one is afraid to ask a question or participate here. I would also hope that if someone asks a question that someone else thinks is beneath them , just do not reply and forget the commentary. Remember no knows everything and there are usually different ways to fix a problem. I always enjoy other peoples technique and often learn something new.

Dave

8. Re: More Kudos

Good post Dave.

I'm not trying to have the last word here, but I have obviously been part of the topic at hand. I certainly never anticipated starting a controversy over my statement that I thought the real people who make up this forum are the best reason to be a part of it.

I have been told not to apologize for things here any more, and I will try to conform a little better than I previously thought necessary as to avoid ruffling of the most delicate of feathers. But this issue continues to baffle me and other members as evidenced by the content of this thread.

Just consider this, Hatteras is not a commercial boat builder, and we are niether commercial fishermen nor commercial cruise line operators who use a boat for our livelyhood, at least for the most part. Hatteras builds convertibles for "sport" fishing aka "fun" fishing. They build motoryachts for "cruising" and for those who just want the pure enjoyment with friends and family that only a boat can provide. These are floating mobile "social" meeting places, plain and simple.

Now obviously these things break on a regular basis. That is were the tech side comes in. But I dare say that nobody ever bought a Hatteras or any other boat just because they enjoy fixing things. Does that mean I am downplaying the importance of the tech side, that is certainly not my intention though it seems to be almost inevitable that someone will take it that way. I sincerely hope not.

Now, can we put this all behind us, or are ya'll going to make me say something I'll feel the need to apologize for again?

Let's make the New Year one of peace and harmony for all of us who are fortunate enough to own even a broken Hatteras that can't leave the dock.
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com
    Randy Register - Kingston, Tennessee - aka Freeebird aka Sparky1
    www.forumlychallengedboaters.com

I Agree !00%
    Jack
    'THERAPY'
    1991 45C

16 bells at 2400 hrs on new years eve, a new year, and clear air here.

Here's to Sam's again for allowing us to share information of ALL kinds here. Thanks for the BEST support around for the BEST boats around. I explained the support that Hatteras and Sams offer to vintage Hatt owners over dinner with friends last night. At first they thought I was crazy for looking into buying a 25-35 year old boat when my 11 year old boat sells. After explaining what is offered in parts/information/advice/technical diagram support.....everyone understood.
    Bravo Zulu!
    (formerly Nor'easter 1995 39 Hatt SX)