Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Power lift hatch

As I am preparing for a total remodel of the salon on my 48 LRC, which I believe will include installation of the Amtico Teak flooring, I am wondering about converting my engine room hatch to a power hatch. I am aware of this conversion being done on a few boats, but I really have no real grasp of the design. This hatch is approximately 2' x 4' and weighs in at about 40 lbs, it is a real PITA to lift out and with the installation of a teak floor would be real likely to end up scratching things up. Therefore I would like to convert this hatch to either electric or hydraulic.

Can anyone on the forum provide me with some of the mechanical requirements involved and maybe point me to where the necessary parts could be obtained. It appears that such an installation requires some sort of blind hinge as well as the addition of either a hydraulic ram or an electrical worm screw, etc?

Thanks,

Jim Alexander

Re: Power lift hatch

I have a hatch of similar size and weight on my 53ED. It has a teak parquet floor on it and it used to scratch up the floor as you indicated whenever I wrestled it out of there. What I did was to buy a Stainless piano hinge from West Marine. I mounted it on one end of the hatch and then angle cut the other end slightly so that it would clear when opened. Next I went to the auto parts store and picked up a hydralic lift gate cylinder of appropriate length. Total cost: about $40.