Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

flybridge removal 1973 38 dc motoryacht

i have this 38' dc motoryacht that was my fathers who passed away last year. we currently have it in the fl. keys and i want to ship it to stillwater mn. the flybridge will need to be removed to get it to a legal height. does anyone have experience in this? i am going to have a service company do the removal when i have it taken out of the water. i will be there for this but would like to get up to speed as much as possible so i can assist them with this. any advice is appreciated

Re: flybridge removal 1973 38 dc motoryacht

Take lots of pictures of connections beforehand . Label all the wires and connections. Then start removing screws and detaching wires and cables. Keep going until there is nothing left holding it on.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

it also appears that the floor of the bridge is connected to the rest of the bridge..when this comes off, will the entire cabin below be exposed? or is there another hardtop underneath?

Ed Gaito ("egaito" on the forum) has experience in this regard. He shipped his 41C from somewhere in MA to Atlanta, GA and had to remove the flybridge to get it to the lake there. He's been so busy since getting his captain's license that he's not on here much, but you can email him at ed@marineinnovation.com for advice in this regard. I know he found it worthwhile to fly and house the folks who took the boat apart to Atlanta to put it back together. No one was pointing fingers at the "other guy" claiming someone didn't take it apart correctly. Essentially..."you disassembled it; you put it back together." And they did. I think he found that the disassembly/reassembly was a little more diligent since the guys taking her apart were going to be tasked with putting her back together with no one to blame for mistakes along the way. Smart move!
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

I recently brought a 36 sedan back to minnesota and I removed and reassembable the flybridge myself. My advice is don't get overwhelmed use a good marking system for all of the wiring and take alot of pictures. I also removed any old or abondon electronics/wiring at the same time to clean the wiring up. Also it is a good time to check for any rot or loose or leaky screw holes when the flybridge is removed. If you are paitent and understand how eveything is marked it is not that hard of a job it just takes a little time.

siggy youre in mn? my email is mafels@comcast.net id like to discuss this more with you. i dont think there are too many hatt owners here, it would be nice to network. thanks marc