Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AC update

AC update

I had a problem with my salon AC unit switching off too quickly, when I was at Great Oak Landing recently with Blue Note. The compressor for this unit is in the engine room, and the evaporator/airhandler is in a locker in the head and ducted up to the salon. The cold air goes upward at the port side of the triple windshield, and then across the ceiling of the salon. This is a 16Kbtu unit. Even though it was 98 degrees outside, the salon unit kept switching off. These units have been updated with digital controls.

Annapolis CruiseAir came out and looked both AC units over. Pressures and charge are fine (the forward unit is now forty years old, it was OEM in the boat!). It turns out that the sensor for the control of the compressor is mounted on the digital control itself, and on the salon unit, the control panel faces upwards, and is close to the supply air outlet. The cold air was falling on the control panel and prematurely switching the compressor off.

The CruiseAir tech fitted a remote sensor which is installed in the return air grille, so that when it senses that the return air is cool enough it will switch the compressor off. This seems to have done the trick. I also found out about a film that 3M makes which will block a lot of the heat coming in through the windows; I'm working on that one.

I thought Annapolis CruiseAir did a good job. They aren't cheap, but they knew what they were doing, cleaned up after themselves, and communicated well and promptly. PM me if you want details or contact numbers. (the digital controls were installed by another company, but when I tried to get them to come to the boat and check it out this time, they didn't call back, etc etc, so I tried ACA on the advice of a friend who does yacht electrical systems)

Re: AC update

Jim:

When you decide on the new film for the windows please let me know. I am pulling the windows next week to replace the channels and this would be a great time to replace the 20 year old film.

Thanks,

Ron

3. Re: AC update

Thermostats and control sensors do take some consideration. I've also been fooled over the years.

For example when I installed winter heating on my YF I decided to put a thermostat next to my bunk so I could switch on heat without getting out of bunk...Great idea except it was an outside bulkhead and was always cold in winter...so never mount thermostats on outside walls, nor in the direct exhaust from either heating or cooling vents....Likewise if you install thermostats for air vent control in engine rooms, you'll note a possibly big difference in temperature between the bilge (in Northern waters) down low and near the ceiling or floor above...
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Ron, there is a 3M film that I think is called Night Vision, or something like that. I am working on getting some through an acquaintance who has access to it. Supposed to be great stuff.

yes, the Night Vision is supposed to be the cat's meow. I went with the darkest tint in lieu of spending the money, but I think I'm stripping and recovering them this month...I have 16 feet of window on each side, and they bake.....even with the limo tint. It was an improvement, but I know there is a better solution.