Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Tower frame cleaning

I am having all my canvas's replaced. Once removed I have found years of neglect from the previous owner. I have tried wet sanding, compound polishing and washing to no avail. The alum. is still stained. Is their any help. Thanks Tom. Top going on Monday.

Re: Tower frame cleaning

I have used Shiela Shine for years. Just soak a rag and slather it on do it every month and it will look great. It hides light pitting fairly well. Put you have to keep after it. There is no magic poition. When aluminum has been let go thats it.

We use a product for cleaning and brightening our aluminum truck trailers (dump boxes). It returns them to a mirror-like shine. I can't remember the name of the stuff, but I don't think you could use it on a boat. It contains a high concentration of some sort of acid that you wouldn't want all over the rest of the boat. Now....if you were going to remove the tower for some reason, then you could do it.

Where do I find Shelia shine?

Most good hardware stores or restaurant supply houses have it as do a lot of marine supplys who cater to large boats. The Rupp stuff is pretty much the same only much more pricey.

I would remove it have it bead blasted then etched and powder coated. It will come out beautiful.

garyd

Sheila Shine can be purchased right over the internet. Just do a search on it and a few on line providers will come up. Should run you about $26 gal. When I had a new half tower put on my last hatteras the Pipewelders guy told me to use Sheila Shine and it looked as good as new 15 years later when I sold that boat. he told me it was same as Aluma Guard at a quarter of the price.

A buddy did my fb control pipe on my old Chris for me with Mother's Aluminum polish, and it came out great.