Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Muffler orientation

"Bawoosh Effect" I love it, we have definitely added a much needed new phrase to our collective Hatteras language.

It is, as described the build up of cooling water in the vernas. Vessel trim, list and loading can impact this as well. increased back pressure of a more deeply laden vessel could decrease the Bawooosh-es.

Im still chuckling at the bawooshes, I may start mine up just to hear them Bawoosh.
    Shawn
    58 MY

Because of this, before firing em up I check to be sure no one is behind the boat dockside. A really good BAWOOSH sends water clear across the dock.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    There is supposed to be an arrow showing flow direction.
    The flow direction on mine is fine. But according to the instructions for the late model Vernatones, the label is supposed to be on top AND they're supposed to be oriented horizontally (on a boat?) or tipped slightly down toward the outlet.

I think if I did that, though, I'd have no BAWOOSH.

To BAWOOSH or not to BAWOOSH, that is the question:
    Whether 'tis nobler on the docks to smoothly flow
    The rumbles and raw water of two-stroke power,
    Or to rotate one's Vernatones against a sea of backpressure...

I've got the same symptom. Only one side sneezes at idle. Been that way for years and hasn't affected performance. When we push the throttle over idle, while in neutral, that other one will eventually sneeze, but not as often as the other one does.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

FWIW (which is nothing!) I could not personally deal with one side acting differently than the other side...
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    What you've got, I think, is exactly the situation that a water-lift muffler would produce; accumulation of water in the muffler until the exhaust pressure builds up to the point where it can blow it out of there- that's the Bawoosh effect. (you may have created a new figure of speech here) Whether or not this is harmful depends on how much back pressure DDs are able to safely tolerate.

Can you look at them to see whether the install is the same on both sides? Mike is on to something, I believe, in the material he quoted above.

Now if it IS the same one side to the other, then I have no idea why it is acting like that.
    MAYBEE KINDA LIKE A GENERATOR EXAUST TIM

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    FWIW (which is nothing!) I could not personally deal with one side acting differently than the other side...

You are correct Mike that would drive me nuts till i found the problem. My first look would be at the impallas second raw watter pump.Third muffler restriction burn or rusted through,BUT WHAT REALLY KILLS ME he said temps were the same.MY 45C HAS THE EVER FAMOUS 671TI 535 HP ANYTIME somthing goes wrong the temp or smoke will tell you the problem .Could it be the hight or angle of exaust more pressure to kick out the watter? Dont you just love these old hats!!!Tim
    Last edited by Tim Powell; 08-08-2010 at 05:59 PM.