Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

wiring - breaker humming

So last week, I was out enjoying a great day on the water. The generator was running, and everything was perfect. I went into the ER to see if everything was OK. Well - everything was OK, but the battery charger was not on eventhough the rest of the boat had power. So today I traced the wires of the battery charger, and I saw that the wire was connected straight to the shoreline power, bypassing the breaker box.

So I cut that wire from the main shoreline wire, and hooked it up to an empty 30 amp breaker in the breaker box. (This is a 3 bank, 10 amp charger.)

The moment I turned the power back on, I hear a humming coming from this breaker. So I installed it on another breaker, and the same thing happened.

The breakers should not hum unless they are overloaded - trying to pop. I doubt that the battery chargers will need a breaker more than 30 amps - but maybe they do. I am not sure. Any ideas why the breaker for the batt charger could be humming ??
    Akin Tosyali
    Hatteras 41 -Barbaros

Chicago

Barbaros, Hatteras 41' Before and after restoration

Re: wiring - breaker humming

Maybe it forgot the words.

Sorry, ....... I had to.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

3. Re: wiring - breaker humming

Are you wiring to the correct voltage??

220 or 120 volts?? Even a 100 amp charger at 12 volts uses less than 10 or 15 amps at 120 volts....

All you can do is either change to a brand new breaker or hook up some other load to one of the noisy breakers and see if that too causes the same noise.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

If sombody wired it straight to a unprotected conductor they probably did it for a reason. Check the amps that the charger is drawing with a clip on amp meter. they have them at home depot and go from there.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

"If sombody wired it straight to a unprotected conductor they probably did it for a reason."

Yeah, and whatever reason they had was a bad one so as noted, find the problem and correct it! This sort of setup is a fire just waiting to start.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    "If sombody wired it straight to a unprotected conductor they probably did it for a reason."

Yeah, and whatever reason they had was a bad one so as noted, find the problem and correct it! This sort of setup is a fire just waiting to start.

Unless its a fire u desire.LOL
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Sometimes old breakers will hum. Try a different breaker before you go to far.

BILL

I ran a new wire from the box to the batt charger - and now no funny humms from the batt box..
    Akin Tosyali
    Hatteras 41 -Barbaros

Chicago

Barbaros, Hatteras 41' Before and after restoration

9. Wink Re: wiring - breaker humming

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Maybe it forgot the words.

Sorry, ....... I had to.

Now that was funny
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY