Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

extending NMEA cable?

I am thinking about gttting the Lowrance LMF-200 to monitor fuel consumption. The only issue is that the sensor comes with a 10ft NMEA 2000 type wire. Can it be extended using 14-18 gauge wires or do they sell an extension? I tried to find an extender but couldn't find it..
    Akin Tosyali
    Hatteras 41 -Barbaros

Chicago

Barbaros, Hatteras 41' Before and after restoration

Re: extending NMEA cable?

NMEA 2000 cables are pretty common.

http://www.lowrance.us/Products/Mari...orking-System/

I think the cables are the same for many of the manufacturers. Working with a lot of garmin lately but I think they are the same.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I hope you have better luck than I with the LMF unit. Mine was totally useless.

Quote Originally Posted by akintosyali View Post
    I am thinking about gttting the Lowrance LMF-200 to monitor fuel consumption. The only issue is that the sensor comes with a 10ft NMEA 2000 type wire. Can it be extended using 14-18 gauge wires or do they sell an extension? I tried to find an extender but couldn't find it..
    Both the LMF-200 and the fuel sensor (and other NMEA 2000 devices) must be connected via a backbone cable which has terminating resistors on each end and a power source. If your NMEA 2000 network only has the LMF-200 and the fuel sensor, then the your wiring will look like this:

You will need to get two backbone cables that is long enough to connect the three tee's. Garmin usually ships all of their NMEA 2000 devices with a Tee and a 6 foot cable. I do not know what Lowrance ships with their devices. Make sure that you get Tee's, cables, and terminating resistors with ends that match your devices. Garmin NMEA 2000 connectors are compatible with Lowrance blue connectors. I believe that these are NMEA 2000 Micro connectors.