Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Deck drains

Deck drains

On our 53MY (1972), the deck drains on either side of the wing door are joined under the deck by a T connection and then enters the sea chest through an L connection. One side plugs up. Yes, eliminating the Ts and Ls would be the right way to correct the situation. In the interim, how bad an idea is it to pour Drano down and then flush the sea chest? How anyone had experience?

Re: Deck drains

fill them with water and a shot of air. just a slug of trash... did mine yesterdat plus the a.c. drain... ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

I have never had a blockage in the plumbing. Only at the drain plate on deck on my '73 58 YF

JM
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Drano is a very BAD idea. Aside from being toxic to marine life, it may, as a strong alkaline, do nasty things to your bilge hoses and perhaps even the glass of the sea chest.

As Bill said, a nice shot of air will do the trick, we used to have air plumbed right to the sea chest on an old dutch built tug i ran.
    Shawn
    58 MY

Drano gets Hot'r than a $5000 hooker It'll melt your hoses.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

on the 53s, it's not that easy since on each side the drains (forward and aft of the wing door) are hooked together so you need to seal one to force air or water in the other one and clear the blockage.

and dont' underestimate the ability of a previous owner or "mechanic" to mess things up over 30 to 40 years... a couple of weeks ago, drains on the stbd side were clogged. i ended up pulling the hose from the sea chest (hard to reach thry the shower) and realized that the hose had been replaced but was too long, with a loop where "stuff" would collect.

on the stbd side you have to pull the access panel under the master sink and maybe an access plate in the shower. on the port side, it's worst, you have to reach in thru the master closet, behind the air handler.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Go to Ace Hardware and get a "Drain Claw" which is a 15" coiled wire with a claw end. Stick it down in the drain and it pulls any close stuff back up. If it's farther down, you have to go in through the master stateroom closet to the seachest hoses.

how about a little bleach???????

Bleach?

Don't want to sterilize or turn plug white.

10. Re: Deck drains

I used 1/4" tubing like you'd have feeding an ice maker (rather rigid). Used some cheap fittings to connect it to a water hose and quickly blasted all the garbage out. I recall some duct tape being involved as well but isn't that normal?