Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Removing "Sound Deadening" Material

I have the need to remove 4 pieces of the sound deadening material under the galley in order to install hinges on my hatch to the machinery space. Do I have to destroy the existing material in order to remove it? Is this material still available? I want to put everything back the way it is now when I am finished. Thanks for the input.

DC

Re: Removing "Sound Deadening" Material

Hey Don... mine was like heavy tar paper / shingle stuff with some foam on one side. It disintegrated when I touched it. I pulled it off and the 33,000 staples that held it in place. WHAT A MESS !! I left it off and cant tell the difference! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

they sell some new stuff that is supposedly pretty good self adhearing as well. Ill try to find a link for you

If you have what I had in my 46C it comes down intact. I had the yellow fiberboard with an off white vinyl coated finish. It is screwed in place without glue so all my panels came off with ease. You should be able to remove and replace it with out any damage. I don't think the material is still available but you can replace pieces with Soundown. The look is different but it is a much better product.
    Jack Sardina

the link to the stuff i was talking about

http://www.acousticalsource.com/boat-soundproofing.html

Don,
    Call me. I have removed some of mine and put it back up. You can cut it with a utility knife and then screw it back up. It's really not a problem.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI