Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
  1. Need Decorating ideas?

See here for some photos aboard the 311 foot "Indian Empress".

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...n-Empress.html

with these amenities:
    ... there's plenty of amusement on board with a gym, beauty salon, massage room sauna, steam room, two shower rooms and even Elton John's old baby grand piano.

Is this boating....... with 42 in crew aboard??????

And why are articles about boats and yachts always so insipid?? No engine data, no year provided, not even the maker.....at least they gave the length....
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Re: Need Decorating ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by REBrueckner View Post
    And why are articles about boats and yachts always so insipid?? No engine data, no year provided, not even the maker.....at least they gave the length....

Check out the below chart from 1972 "Boating" 43DC review - how cool is that?
    Attached Images

3. Re: Need Decorating ideas?

Interesting data...0.89MPG seems reasonable but I'd rather not run a 53 series engine at 2500 RPM....that's a bit high for my taste....
    Rob Brueckner

Just a question.... Why wouldnt you run an 8-53 natural at 2500 rpms?
    Art
    Trouble
    43DCFB DC-306
    AYC NY

5. Re: Need Decorating ideas?

"Why wouldnt you run an 8-53 natural at 2500 rpms?"

It's a matter of personal preference. I ran a pair of 6V53's [and before that 3-53's) for about 22 years in a 1961 Matthews convertible sedan...recreational use....I cruised at 2100 RPM which was about 12 knots and in all those years the only repair I had was a governor bearing go bad. When weather got snotty we'd run at 2350RPM or so and that boat was moving with increased stability. Those engines were noisey as hell, even compared to the 71 series, and at 2500RPM or so I just did not like the sound.

MY post implies that there is a non linear relationship between highest RPM operation and wear..... The question is (a) is that true and if so (b) where does the relationship turn linear. I have no idea. On the other hand, assuming at higher RPM wear were linear, then the increased wear and tear from higher RPM would be offset by reduced running time due to higher speed over ground....and faster run speed would offset the increased wear.

But I think most experts here would agree that running any diesel at WOT reduces overall engine life...beyond that simple observation I haven't seen anything factual posted here. For some of the real high HP to cubic inch engines, like the 375 HP 6V53T and 485HP 671TI it appears pretty clear that high RPM (and high HP) operation significantly reduces engine life.

My understanding is that back in the 1970's 8V71TI's maximum recommended cruise RPM was 2050 RPM. I saw that in some of my Hatteras material which came with my 1972 YF. I don't know who recommended that but assumed it was Detroit Diesel and provided by Hatteras to the owner.
    Industrial/commercial experience suggests 71 series engines last a REAL long life at 1800 RPM, a common electric generator RPM. How much longer might a marine engine last at, say, 1800 RPM cruise versus 2050 RPM?? Who knows????
    Rob Brueckner

Amazing...someone actually "road-tested" a boat, back then...