Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Garmin GPS Antenna not communicating

It was a software issue. I re-installed the software upgrade on the 4012, with the gps connected to the plotter and with the gps upgraded, they now talk to each other and I have my location.

Apparently the accessories have to be upgraded so they can communicate with the plotter.

This has been an ordeal and I would hesitate to upgrade without first taking to Garmin and being sure that they will stand behind any resulting problems.
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

Glad that you have it worked out.

Did your first attempt to upgrade the entire system fail?

Seems that your upgrade caused more problems than it solved. Garmin's upgrade process is the best compared to Raymarine, Furuno, and Northstar. It generally updates everything that is connected and your good to go.

I had one "hang" once but it worked after a restart.

Mark

The first attempt failed seriously and since then, the 4212 keyboard does not work. In that attempt I used a blank SD card on which I had downloaded the upgrade, and had everything on the network connected. The upgrade process appeared to go well then froze at "58%" according to the indicator. It did upgrade the 4012 on the FB but not the 4212 at the helm. At that point the FB unit would work still reading the charts off of the 4212 and since the 4212 was still sw version 5.20 it could still talk to the gps antenna and in turn give that info to the 4012 on the FB.

Garmin suggested I try to upgrade the 4212 with the networked items disconnected. I unplugged everything but the power cord and using a software card purchased from Garmin succeeded in upgrading the 4212, but that did not cure the keyboard problem. In addition, in hindsight, I suspect that once the 4212 was upgraded it could no longer talk to the gps 17 antenna and likewise when I moved the 4012 to the helm, the upgraded 4012 could not talk to the gps antenna. After I re-upgraded the 4012 with the Garmin card, and the gps, GSD and GSM attached, the gps antenna apparently was upgraded and can now talk to the 4012.

For some reason the 4012 froze during this upgrade, with the screen indicating "updating software" for over 12 hours. I shut it off restared with the G2 vision chart card working and I now have one working plotter.

Garmin has advised of one more possible "fix" for the 4212 involving a reset of the unit and I am going to try that before sending the 4212 to Garmin.

Aren't computers and networks wonderful?

Regards,
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956